This slow cooker chicken recipe brings together the best of Moroccan flavors and fresh ingredients. Moroccan tagine, or slow-cooked stews, often contain a mix of vegetables, dried fruits, spices, and poultry or meat. Moroccan cuisine also includes olives and garbanzo beans. All of these ingredients come together for a nutrient-rich, tasty stew.
Looking for Moroccan flavors, but in a vegetarian recipe? Try this Slow Cooker Chickpea Stew with Apricots recipe.
Chicken legs such as thighs, or a combination of thighs and drumsticks, are an excellent choice of poultry for this dish. Instead of drying out during a long, slow braise like chicken breasts will, they’ll benefit from slow cooking, resulting in tender, moist chicken. Serve the stew over whole wheat couscous or brown rice to make a filling meal.
When served with grains, this stew is truly a satiating meal and won’t require any sides. But Blood Oranges in Simple Syrup with Walnuts or Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Balls would make delicious, complementary desserts!
To drink? Our Orange Pomegranate Green Iced Tea, of course. Green tea, citrus, and pomegranates are all popular ingredients in Moroccan cuisine. Sparkling Pomegranate Juice is another yummy refreshment. It’s healthful, and can satisfy that craving for bubbly drink.
Yields: 4 to 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-2 pieces of chicken and 1 cup of the stew | Calories: 444 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 188 mg | Sodium: 343 mg | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 15 g | Protein: 51 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 8-10 (3 pounds) bone-in chicken thighs (or combination of thighs and drumsticks), skin removed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 medium to large zucchini, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground tumeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and finely minced or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chicken stock, low-sodium preferred
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans/ chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried, chopped dates or whole raisins
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 4 cups cooked wholewheat couscous or brown rice, to serve
- Add chicken stock, spices, onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes, zucchini, tomato paste, and carrots to the slow cooker and stir. Add the chickpeas, dried fruit, chicken, and salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is tender, and the vegetables are cooked through.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs.
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.