There are a number of delicious ways to enjoy this chicken!
Looking for a delectable, versatile chicken recipe to keep in your back pocket? This Slow Cooker Pomegranate Chicken Breasts recipe yields tender, pull-apart chicken perfect for sandwiches, or served as a main course! This recipe incorporates a bunch of tasty spices like oregano, Dijon mustard, chili powder, and cayenne pepper that lend some powerful deliciousness. Meanwhile, unique ingredients like fresh pomegranate juice and balsamic vinegar add incredible depth of sweetness and tanginess to the chicken.
An Impressive Chicken Recipe with a Touch of Sweetness!
Aromatics like garlic, chili powder, cayenne and oregano not only deliver strong, bold notes to this pull-apart chicken, but they also offer incredible health benefits. These spices have so much to bring to the table. First, they lend impressive healing benefits with their cancer-fighting and anti-inflammatory properties. Meanwhile, these savory spices can help lower high blood pressure and reduce high cholesterol. Wow!
How to Make Slow Cooker Pomegranate Chicken
The secret to locking in moisture lies in the slow cooker. By following the Set ‘n Forget option with a meat thermometer, program the temperature to 165 degrees. It will automatically switch to warm when the desired internal temperature is reached.
Despite its impressive taste, this chicken recipe is a breeze to throw together. In fact, your slow cooker takes care of most of the work. First, combine all your herbs and spices in a mixing bowl, and whisk in the extra virgin olive oil. Coat your chicken with the delectable herb mixture, and place it in the slow cooker.
Next, whisk Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, pomegranate juice, and balsamic vinegar and pour the pungent mixture over chicken. Cook for 4-6 hours on low, and voila! You have yourself luscious, melt-in-your-mouth chicken and several days worth of flavorful meal options!
Delicious and Scale-Friendly
This drool-worthy chicken dish packs a protein punch at 26 grams per serving, without weighing you down with calories. Clocking in at fewer than 300 calories, this mouthwatering meal definitely boasts an impressive nutritional profile. It serves as the perfect dish to keep you full and curb your appetite for hours, without feeling too heavy!
How to Serve Pomegranate Chicken
This scrumptious, protein-packed recipe tastes great by itself, or enjoyed in other clean-eating recipes! Here are some ideas:
- Celebrate Italian night! Shred your chicken and toss with Basil Pesto and pasta for a quick and easy dinner
- Make chicken tacos and top with salsa, guacamole, cilantro, chopped onion, and pico de gallo. Yum!
- Serve with roasted vegetables and a healthy grain like quinoa or brown rice!
- Shred chicken and serve in a yummy sandwich with clean-eating mayonnaise, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese!
Slow Cooker Pomegranate Chicken Breasts
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts about 4 (6 to 8 ounce) breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice no sugar added
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- In a small mixing bowl combine all the herbs and spices.
- Whisk together in a large mixing bowl the herbs, spices and the extra virgin olive oil. Rinse chicken, pat dry with a paper towel. Coat chicken with the herb and oil mixture, place in the slow-cooker. Note: this method of rubbing olive oil on the chicken before adding to the slow-cooker helps to seal in the moisture.
- Whisk together in a medium mixing bowl Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, pomegranate juice and balsamic vinegar...pour over chicken.
- Turn slow cooker to low and cook 4 - 6 hours on low. After chicken is done remove from the slow cooker, place on a serving platter and drizzle with liquid. This extra moist chicken pairs nicely with a small side of pasta. If using the Set 'n Forget Slow Cooker, program the temperature to 165 degrees or follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving the newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email from Skinny Ms., signup here: daily eNewsletter Signup.
Editor’s note: This post was originally published on September 5, 2012.