When it comes to curry, the recipe possibilities are endless! This combination of red lentils and spicy red curry is just delicious and incredibly simple to prepare. Once the ingredients are tossed into your slow cooker and before you know it, the aromas of India have filled your kitchen. It’s a slow cooker recipe your whole family will love.
If you are new to cooking lentils, have no fear! With very little effort, these legumes offer awesome nutritional benefits. They are excellent sources of fiber and protein, are low in calories, and contain almost zero fat.
Yield: 8-10 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup |Calories: 199 | Total Fat: 2.9 g | Saturated Fat: 1.3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 528 mg | Carbohydrates: 31.4 g | Dietary Fiber: 14.4 g | Sugars: 3.5 g | Protein: 12 g | SmartPoints (Freetyle): 0 |
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tsp garam masala (found in the spice section or see below for recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (25 oz.) can tomatoes (pureed)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup coconut milk
- top with green onions
- (serve with rice)
- Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Cardamon
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Rinse the lentils and discard any bad ones.
- To your slow cooker, add the onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, curry paste, garam masala, and turmeric. Stir well.
- Pour tomatoes over the lentil mixture in the crockpot. Re-fill the can with water and add to the slow cooker. (Make sure that the lentils are covered with liquid!)
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours until the lentils are soft. Add salt to taste and coconut milk just before serving.
- If desired, serve Red Lentil Curry over a bed of brown rice or quinoa. Top with a fresh mint.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.