Southwest flavors and nutritious superfoods combine to create the best breakfast around!
If you’re fed up with eating the same old bland and boring breakfast, this recipe is about to change everything! There are certain meals that can make your mouth water before you even take your first bite, and this Southwest Sweet Potato Hash is definitely one of them! Start your morning off right by making this sweet, spicy, and nutrient-dense breakfast hash that will help you power through your day.
The Perfect Combination of Southwest Flavors
When preparing this meal, you’ll start off by chopping up one of our favorite superfoods (sweet potatoes) into one-inch cubes. Toss the sweet potato cubes in olive oil and our spice mix, which uses crushed red pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, and salt. After baking the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes, throw in some red onion and bell pepper for a little extra kick.
Once the potato mixture is soft and toasty, stir in some avocado and fresh cilantro to elevate the flavor profile even further. Top this yummy recipe off with a perfectly poached egg. Just like that, your flavorful and nutritious breakfast is ready to enjoy!
A Nutrient-Rich Breakfast
Aside from all of the tremendous flavors, this recipe is chock-full of nutrients to keep you feeling full and focused all day long. Sweet potato is an excellent source of healthy carbs that will fuel your body. Avocado is packed with vitamins, as well as plenty of good fats and fiber to fill your belly. The poached egg on top also adds in a bit more protein for an extra dose of nutrients. Tie all of the ingredients together, and you have yourself one awesome breakfast!
Another wonderful benefit of making this recipe is that you’ll get two servings out of it. This means that you can enjoy it for lunch, or save it and use it for breakfast the next morning!
Southwest Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 red bell pepper diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup red onion diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 avocado peel and pit removed, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 large eggs poached (to make the perfect poached egg, check out our How to Make Perfect Poached Eggs recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the sweet potato, half the olive oil, half the salt, half the red pepper, half cumin, and half the chili powder. Mix well and spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the red bell pepper and red onion with the remaining salt, red pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Once the potatoes have baked for 15 minutes, add the onion and bell pepper mixture to the sheet pan stirring to combine with the potatoes. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and begin to brown.
- Stir in the avocado and fresh cilantro, spoon into serving bowls with the poached egg on top. Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you enjoyed this recipe, we think you’d also like to try:
- Skinny Cheesy Chicken Sweet Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Savory Southwestern Sweet Potato Waffles
What did you think of this Southwest sweet potato hash? Let us know in the comment section! Also, be sure to follow us on Pinterest for more health recipes!