Here’s a new twist on a healthier stew that we think you’ll love. Turmeric gives this potato and chickpea stew its bright yellow color, and a spicy curry powder gives it rich, aromatic flavor. Simple ingredients comprise this slow cooker recipe, which cooks while you’re out and about. You’ll come home to a delicious meal that also makes excellent leftovers. Serve it with whole wheat bread to soak up the delicious sauce, or a small green salad for a truly healthy meal. The next time you’re sifting through recipes looking for healthy stews, try this one. You won’t be disappointed!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup |Calories: 385| Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 45 mg | Carbohydrates: 70 g | Dietary Fiber: 18g | Sugars: 14 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints: 12
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably hot
- 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups homemade vegetable broth
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute until very fragrant.
- Transfer this mixture to your slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat until potatoes are tender and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with the chopped cilantro.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? Tell us about it in the comments below.