Change up your morning breakfast with pizza!
Everyone loves pizza, even at breakfast time! Our spinach and egg breakfast pizza is a new and healthy take on the beloved, classic Italian dish. This recipe contains two of our favorite superfoods too, so you can feel good about indulging. You’ll also get to enjoy plenty of flavor, as oregano and garlic powder add a delightful, zesty kick. Treating yourself to this delicious dish in the morning will make getting out of bed a whole lot easier! It will satisfy your taste buds and give your body the necessary nutrients it needs to power through the day. What could be better?
Two Superfoods Collide
Eggs and spinach are two of our favorite superfoods (and for good reason!) Each of them have plenty to offer as far as nutrition goes, including but not limited to: a hefty dose of protein, belly-filling fiber, and body-nourishing vitamins & minerals. Aside from being incredibly nutritious, the flavors of these nutritional powerhouses compliment each other beautifully. Add in all of the other ingredients (most of which you probably already can find in your kitchen) and you’ve got yourself one well-rounded meal!
A Healthy Meal that is Easy to Make!
While the oven is heating up, place the two pitas on a non-stick baking sheet and brush the tops of them with some olive oil. Sprinkle 1/4 of a cup of cheese onto each pita in an even layer, and then add the garlic powder and oregano. Arrange the spinach on each pita into the shape of a ring around the edges, leaving a space in the middle with no spinach.
Once the oven is hot, carefully break each egg into the center of the spinach ring. From there, place the sheet in the oven and bake the pizzas for about 6 to 7 minutes. Note that the yolks will be runny. If you would prefer them to be firm, increase the broil time until the desired consistency is reached! All that’s left to do now is dig in! Enjoy. 🙂
Thin Crust Spinach and Egg Breakfast Pizza
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese low-fat, shredded (mozzarella can be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves dried, not ground
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Place each pita on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Divide cheese between the pitas and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle with oregano and garlic powder. Arrange the spinach on each pita, about 1/2 cup per pita, in a ring. Leaving a space in the middle with no spinach.
- Once the oven is hot, carefully break each egg into the center of the spinach ring. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until the egg whites are set. The yolks will be runny. If a more hard yolk is desired, increase the bake time.
- Cut before serving, add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We love clean pizza recipes and we have plenty that will let you enjoy your favorite food, guilt free! Check out some of these delicious options:
Editor’s note: This recipe was originally published on July 28, 2017.