Everyone loves pizza, so why not eat it for breakfast sometimes? This spinach and egg breakfast pizza is a new take on the classic Italian dish. It’s topped with eggs and spinach, so you can feel good about indulging. You’ll get plenty of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. You’ll also get plenty of flavor–oregano and garlic powder add a zesty kick. Treat yourself to this delicious dish when a pizza craving strikes. You’ll satisfy your taste buds and give your body necessary nutrients all at once. What could be better?
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 | Calories: 367 | Total Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 224mg | Sodium: 552mg | Carbohydrates: 27g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 20g | SmartPoints: 12
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup low fat fontina cheese, shredded (mozzarella can be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves (not ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven broiler to low broil. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
- Place each pita on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Divide cheese between the pitas and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle with oregano and garlic powder. Arrange the spinach on each pita, about 1/2 cup per pita, in a ring. Leaving a space in the middle with no spinach.
- Once the broiler is hot, carefully break each egg into the center of the spinach ring. Broil for 6 to 7 minutes or until the egg whites are set. The yolks will be runny. If a more hard yolk is desired, increase the broil time.
- Cut before serving and enjoy!