Change up your morning breakfast with pizza!
Everybody loves pizza, right? But have you ever thought about having pizza for breakfast? Our spinach and egg breakfast pizza is a healthy and delicious twist on the classic Italian dish. And guess what? It’s not just tasty; it’s also packed with nutrients that your body will love!
Combining eggs and spinach in this breakfast pizza is a genius move. The protein from the eggs helps keep you full, and the fiber in spinach adds to that feeling of satisfaction. It’s a win-win for your taste buds and your body!
But wait, there’s more! We’ve added oregano and garlic powder for an extra kick of flavor. Not only do they make the pizza taste amazing, but they also bring some antioxidants to the party.
And here’s the best part – you don’t need fancy ingredients for this recipe. Most of the stuff you probably already have in your kitchen. It’s a simple, well-rounded meal that’ll energize you and keep you going throughout the day.
Pro Tip: this delicious spinach and egg breakfast pizza doesn’t have just to be eaten in the morning! You can also use this recipe for pizza night!
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make This Breakfast Pizza?
With a few simple ingredients, you will be able to make this homemade breakfast pizza in no time at all! This is one of our favorite breakfast foods and it’s sure to be yours too!
- Pita Bread
- Olive Oil
- Fontina Cheese (you can substitute mozzarella cheese)
- Garlic Powder
- Baby Spinach
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
Pro Tip: Want to add some meat? Feel free to add bacon bits or sausage!
How Do You Make This Spinach and Egg Breakfast Pizza?
No need to make this easy breakfast pizza recipe overly complicated! This delicious recipe makes the perfect breakfast and, chances are, you’ll even have some leftover breakfast pizza to nibble on for the next few days making this a great one to meal prep!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grab a baking sheet or a pizza stone. Give it a light spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Now, place each pita on the baking sheet and give them a nice brush of olive oil. Time for the cheesy goodness! Divide your favorite cheese between the pitas and spread it evenly. Sprinkle some oregano and garlic powder to add that zesty kick we all love.
- Next, let’s load up on the greens! Take about half a cup of fresh spinach and arrange it in a ring on each pita, leaving a space in the middle for the magic to happen.
- Alright, here comes the star of the show – the eggs! Carefully crack an egg into the center of each spinach ring (don’t whisk eggs!). Now, pop the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for about 6 to 7 minutes, or until the egg whites are perfectly set. The yolks will be wonderfully runny, but if you prefer them more cooked, just leave them in the oven for a bit longer.
- Once done, it’s time to cut and serve! Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste, and get ready to savor the deliciousness of your spinach and egg breakfast pizzas. Enjoy the heavenly combination of flavors and nutritious goodness in every bite!
Pro Tip: Add red onions, red pepper flakes, some pepper jack cheese, hot sauce, red bell peppers or any other additional toppings! I like plenty of cheese, or even a good goat cheese on top, too.
How Do You Store Breakfast Pizza?
You’ll want to grab an airtight container, and keep it in the fridge for no more than 2-3 days (trust me, it will be gone before then, anyways!) Another way to store this recipe is to cut cover the pizza slices in plastic wrap and then in parchment paper.
Are Eggs and Spinach Superfoods?
Eggs and spinach are two of our favorite superfoods (and for good reason!) Each of them have plenty to offer as far as nutrition goes, including but not limited to: a hefty dose of protein, belly-filling fiber, and body-nourishing vitamins & minerals. Aside from being incredibly nutritious, the flavors of these nutritional powerhouses compliment each other beautifully. Add in all of the other ingredients (most of which you probably already can find in your kitchen) and you’ve got yourself one well-rounded meal!
We love clean pizza recipes and we have plenty that will let you enjoy your favorite food, guilt free! Check out some of these delicious options:
Thin Crust Spinach and Egg Breakfast Pizza
- 2 whole wheat pitas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese low-fat, shredded (mozzarella can be substituted)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves dried, not ground
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Place each pita on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Divide cheese between the pitas and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle with oregano and garlic powder. Arrange the spinach on each pita, about 1/2 cup per pita, in a ring. Leaving a space in the middle with no spinach.
- Once the oven is hot, carefully break each egg into the center of the spinach ring. Bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until the egg whites are set. The yolks will be runny. If a more hard yolk is desired, increase the bake time.
- Cut before serving, add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Editor’s note: This recipe was originally published on July 28, 2017.