A low-carb recipe that packs a boatload of flavor.
Did you know a typical corn tortilla has nearly 100 calories and 20 grams of carbs? Flour tortillas have even higher numbers. If you’re on a low-carb diet, you may feel as though tacos are not an option. But there are always creative ways to enjoy your favorite foods– you just have to think outside the box a bit! These taco zucchini boats are the perfect way to satisfy your craving for tacos without the guilt. Instead, you get a healthy vessel to easily eat your taco. Plus, they contain classic taco ingredients, so you still get all of your favorite flavors!
Regular Tacos Can Take a Seat
I’ve been experimenting with zucchini boats for a while now because they’re such an easy way to sneak healthy ingredients into a dish. But these taco zucchini boats have hands down been the biggest hit. I was a little worried that they wouldn’t stand up to a traditional taco, but everyone in my family loves them. The lean ground meat with the spices and melted Mexican cheese is a combo you can’t go wrong with. You can even go healthier by substituting the ground beef for ground turkey, which no one seemed to notice last time I made these. I was even thinking about adding a different spice mix next time — maybe an Indian spice mix!
If you try different spices, be sure to let us know in the comment section below!
Taco Zucchini Boats Can be Prepped Ahead of Time
That’s right, these taco zucchini boats are an awesome meal prep recipe. They are fine in the fridge for up to 4 days. You’ll just want to undercook them a bit so that when you reheat them, they come out perfect.
Put them in a tupperware container alongside some cilantro-lime basmati rice— if you’re not concerned about a few extra carbs– and you’ve got yourself a great meal to enjoy at work, school, or at home. I meal prepped these on Sunday night and they lasted through Wednesday. Just make sure to adjust the recipe depending on how many meals you want each day.
Do You Know How Healthy Zucchini is for You?
Super healthy! This summer squash has been used by cultures for hundreds of years to treat various health conditions. However, not all of it is backed by science, so let’s just go over the facts…
First, zucchini is packed with rich nutrients like Vitamin A, Manganese, Vitamin C, Potassium, and Magnesium. These vitamins and minerals are proven to support your vision and immune system, especially cooked zucchini. Zucchini is also rich in antioxidants, which protect your body from harmful free radicals. The highest levels of antioxidants are found in the skin of the zucchini too, which makes these taco zucchini boats even healthier. Lastly, zucchinis are full of water, soluble fiber, and insoluble fiber so they aid in healthy digestion and nourish your cells.
Zucchini also happens to be super easy to grow. So, if you’re thinking about starting or expanding that summer garden, be sure to include them. And just so you’re aware, zucchini grows fast and plentiful, so be prepared to eat a lot of taco zucchini boats!
Taco Zucchini Boats
- 4 zucchini medium sized
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion small, chopped
- 1 bell pepper small, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet taco seasoning low sodium
- 1 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lowfat Mexican cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- Preheat oven to 400F. Use a spoon to scoop out the center of the zucchinis. Place them in a baking dish and bake for 18 minutes.
- While the zucchinis are baking, brown the ground beef in a pan over medium/high heat. Break up the beef with a wooden spoon, stirring occasionally while it cooks. This should take about 5-6 minutes.
- When the ground beef is browned, remove it from the pan and drain it. Add the garlic cloves, onion and bell pepper into the pan. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Then add the ground beef back into the pan, followed by the water, taco seasoning, and diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer this mixture for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the beef mixture among the zucchinis. Then top with shredded cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with cilantro, green onions and tomatoes after removing from the oven.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Did you love this low-carb recipe? If so, we think you will also love these similar, healthy recipes:
- Low-Carb Avocado Breakfast Cups
- Jalapeno Popper Zucchini Boats
- Skinny Bell Pepper Nacho Boats
- Skinny Bell Pepper Pizza Boats
Looking for even more mouth-watering meals? Be sure to subscribe to our eNewsletter, and follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram so that you never miss out.
Loved the Taco Zucchini Boats
Great! Please leave a review if you have a minute
Excellent. Used yellow squash since the zucchini at the market wasn’t looking good. I double batched the taco meat for future use. It is very tasty with the fire roasted tomatoes. Topped with avocado, light sour cream and salsa (adjusted calories accordingly). Will definitely make again.