This homemade and organic vegetarian/vegan stuffing is the perfect complement to any Holiday feast! Here’s the perfect gravy for the stuffing Vegan Chickpea Gravy.
This recipe is courtesy of Lisa and Jim from the The Vegan Pact. The Vegan Pact was created by Lisa, early in 2012 after making the transition from a vegetarian lifestyle to a vegan one. Vegan cooking from scratch is Lisa’s passion, and creating organic, animal-free meals without processed food is what her life revolves around.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup | Calories: 101 | Total Fat: 4.4 g | Saturated Fat: 0.7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 515 mg | Carbohydrates: 12.4 g | Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g | Sugars: 2.9 g | Protein: 4.0 g | SmartPoints: 3 |
- 5 cups white baguette OR white sliced bread, cubed
- 5 cups whole wheat baguette OR whole wheat sliced bread, cubed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp fresh sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss bread cubes in 1 tbsp oil then place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Over medium heat, saute onion in 1 tbsp oil for 8 minutes or until they start to turn brown.
- When the cubes are done, toss with onions, celery, carrot, cranberries, parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Slowly pour veggie broth into mixture and stir.
- Grease a 13 X 9 casserole dish with 1 tsp oil then pour stuffing into it.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Then remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.