Tacos and pizza collide in this delicious family-friendly option!
Okay, be honest. Has this ever happened to you: you ask the family what they want for dinner, tacos or pizza, and the votes come back evenly split! What are you to do? You don’t want to pick favorites or start a pre-dinner rumble…dinner time is rough enough without having to make such controversial decisions! Oh, the stress! Don’t worry. We got you. What if we told you you can have both? Taco Pizza? Is that a thing? Not only is it a thing, but our Best Taco Pizza is so good, you may never experience the taco vs. pizza debate again! And the best part of the “Best Taco Pizza” is that you make it hot and fresh in your own oven, in less than a half hour from start to finish.
Quick, Fresh and…Healthy!
Because we know you have a limited amount of time, we are going to make the crust part easy for you. Tonight, let’s just use a family size pre-made flatbread pizza crust. Prepare it and bake it according to the instructions on the package. Leave the handmade pizza crust for another night, when you have more time and are less pressed to get that dinner into hungry mouths!
When you have some extra time, try making our Chickpea Thin Crust Pizza Dough.
Our toppings for tonight’s pizza will include lean ground turkey, browned in a skillet until cooked through, then seasoned with ready-made taco seasoning mix and water. Remember to drain any excess liquid from the cooked turkey before adding the taco seasoning and water so you don’t end up with more fat or liquid than you need.
This is Pizza Sauce?
Our pizza “sauce” is going to be unique, but it’ll be delicious, you’ll see. You are going to combine a half cup of plain Greek yogurt along with 2 ounces of cream cheese. We’re also going to add just a teaspoon of lime juice (fresh squeezed is always preferred), to give it a little zip and make it easier to spread. This is going to stand in place of traditional sour cream or crema on our taco pizza.
Spread this mixture on top of your prepared flatbread. Next you’ll add your cooked taco-seasoned turkey. Once that’s done, we’ll get to more taco-ish ingredients!
More Taco Toppings
Now, what’s a properly-dressed taco without tomatoes and cheese? And, our pizza isn’t going to disappoint. We’re going to add all those taco favorites, like chopped cherry tomatoes, green onions for a little extra flavor and color, even shredded lettuce! Yup, you heard right. Gotta have the lettuce!
Finally, add some shredded Mexican cheese. Now, there are different varieties of “Mexican” cheese. Some consist of just shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, while others are a four-cheese blend, including asadero or maybe orange and white cheddar. Some brands even add Mexican seasoning (again, like taco seasoning) to their shredded cheese blend. What you choose to use on your pizza is up to you.
If you like, you can also change things up by using authentic Mexican cheese. Queso Fresco, Cotija, or Panela can be fun, but keep in mind that you will have to adjust the nutrition and calorie information for your pizza, accordingly.
The same is true for other toppings you may want to add, like avocado or guacamole, perhaps some sliced black olives, salsa, or maybe some chopped green chiles or pickled jalapenos. Tacos can take on many personalities, and your taco pizza is no different!
Regardless of how you top it or slice it, it’s best served right away to keep it from getting cold and soggy under all that taco-ness.
The Best Taco Pizza
- 1 family size flatbread pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 ounces cream cheese block style
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Prepare your flatbread according to the instructions on the package. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the ground turkey in the skillet and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until browned, making sure to stir occasionally.
- Drain any excess fat from the ground turkey. Then pour the taco seasoning and water into the skillet. Stir until combined and simmer until the water is absorbed. Set the ground turkey aside after it is done cooking.
- In small bowl, mix the plain greek yogurt, cream cheese, and lime juice. Spread this mixture on the the flatbread. Then top the flatbread with the ground turkey, followed by the cherry tomatoes, green onions, shredded lettuce, and mexican cheese. This is best served immediately.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
So, what do you think about our unique “Mexico meets Italy” dinner treat? We’d love to hear from you! Drop us a comment below and let us know what you thought…
Does this give you cravings for more healthy twists on tacos or pizza? Then perhaps you might want to give these dynamite recipes a try!
- Crispy Zucchini Tacos with Chipotle Cream Recipe
- Grilled Chicken and Avocado Tacos with Cilantro Crema
- Turkey Sausage and Quinoa Pizza Bowl
- Low-Carb Eggplant Pizza Recipe
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest more more tasty recipes!