You're going to love this healthy twist on tacos!
I’m sure I’m not the only one with a total taco obsession. Sometimes, I think eating tacos is my hobby! I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner – and never tire of the meal. It’s great that new, healthy taco recipes have been coming to the forefront these days. These recipes take the guilt out of tacos by filling them with nutritious ingredients that don’t sacrifice on flavor. If you’re looking for your next Taco Tuesday inspiration and you want it to be healthy, look no further than this crispy zucchini tacos with chipotle cream recipe.
These tacos really hit all the flavor notes, and they make a really great vegetarian meal, too. Breading the zucchini strips gives them a satisfying crunch, while the chipotle cream adds a zesty spice. The red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, radishes, and cilantro compline to be the perfect toppings because they taste great and look beautiful, too.
It’s not all about flavor for this dish, either. This crispy zucchini tacos with chipotle cream recipe are really visually stunning. That’s a really good thing because it’s totally true that we eat with our eyes first!
Crispy Zucchini Strips
I’m not a huge fan of deep frying. I know some people say that the oil doesn’t soak into the fried food, but I would disagree. Have you ever fried a large batch of fritters for a party? You have to add more oil halfway through. I don’t think that the existing oil evaporated, either…
Using your oven to bake instead of fry the zucchini strips still gives you super crispy, perfectly textured pieces of “fried” zucchini. All without using any fryer oil! In 15 to 20 minutes, the high heat of the oven will crisp up the outsides and make everything an appealing golden brown.
The real key to these zucchini strips is in whipping the egg whites. Egg whites are all water and protein. All the fat (and cholesterol) from the egg is located in the yolk. You not only get a skinnier zucchini by using the whites, but they also stiffen up as you whip them. That means the coating will have a better chance at clinging to the sides of the zucchini.
All of this talk of oven-fried zucchini is making me hungry! This crispy zucchini tacos with chipotle cream recipe is skinny, delicious, and beautiful to look at. In addition to making it for my next Taco Tuesday, I think I’ll make these for my next dinner party and wow my guests!
Check out this video to see how to make the recipe:
Crispy Zucchini Tacos with Chipotle Cream Recipe
For the Zucchini
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 zucchini squash large, cut into 1 inch long strips
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
For the Chipotle Cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers pureed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
For the Tacos
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup radish sliced into thin circles
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
For the Zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and gently whip. In a second bowl, combine the Panko, flour, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Dip the zucchini in the egg followed but the Panko mixture. Press the Panko into the zucchini to ensure all the sides are coated well.
- Lay in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with the coconut oil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
For the Chipotle Creme
- Whisk all ingredients together and set aside.
For the Tacos
- Place the cooked zucchini in the bottom of each tortilla. Top with cabbage, tomato, radish, and cilantro. Drizzle with lime juice and chipotle cream. Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you’re looking for more fun recipes to keep your healthy meal plans rocking, you’ll definitely want to follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. We have all the inspiration you’ll need to keep on going!
More Fun and Healthy Taco Recipes:
Go gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan with this plant-based recipe. You won’t miss the meat once you take a bit into these sweet and savory tacos. Perfect for a guilt-free Taco Tuesday!
With the Instant Pot, you’ll have shredded chicken in a fraction of the time. This recipe is spiced perfectly for making the most satisfying, skinny tacos.
I’m all about tacos for breakfast! Or, even better, breakfast for dinner! These tacos are packed with Mexican flavors but also have the comforting tones of a delicious breakfast burrito.