When you think of summertime meals, what comes to mind? Salads, burgers, and of course, tacos! These Summer fish tacos are incredibly light, yet intensely flavorful! At less than 500 calories and a whopping 43 grams of protein per serving, they qualify as an extremely nutritious meal, too! Celebrate taco night the healthy way! Cook up this simple and delicious stove top recipe that the entire family is sure to adore.
Preparing these Summer Fish Tacos
Begin by combining the diced roma tomatoes, red onion, poblano pepper, and some of the lime juice and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Stir it until ingredients are evenly combined, and set the bowl aside. This will make up your “salsa” topping once you’re ready to serve your tacos!
Next, the taco seasoning will be used to season the tilapia fillets. Grab a sauté pan and turn the burner to medium-high heat. Pour half of your olive oil into the pan. Once the pan is nice and hot, cook each fillet for about 5 minutes per side, give or take a minute or two. Once filets are fully cooked, break the tilapia into nice chunky pieces and drizzle the rest of the lime juice on top. You’ll come back to this in just a second, but you can set it aside for right now.
In another pan, add the other half of the olive oil and set the heat to high. When the oil is hot, add the corn kernels and cook them until they have a slight char. Grab your serving plates and place two tortillas on each plate. We used flour tortillas; however, you can use corn tortillas to keep this recipe gluten-free.
Plating this Light & Fun Summer Dish!
Now it’s time to assemble your yummy Summer fish tacos! This recipe makes 8 tacos, so start by evenly distributing the tilapia between the tortillas. Next comes the tomato “salsa” mixture, charred corn, shredded green cabbage, remaining cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt in place of sour cream! The only thing left to do now is dig in!
Perfectly-Paired Side Dishes
Need a little bit more volume in your meal? We’ve got you covered! We have hundreds of scrumptious, low-calorie side dishes to choose from. Here are a few that we think will compliment our fish tacos perfectly:
- Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice
- Sweet Plantains
- Skinny Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob with Chipotle Sauce
- Lime Rice and Beans
Summer Fish Tacos
- 2 roma tomatoes diced small
- 1 red onion diced small
- 1 poblano pepper minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 4 fillets tilapia
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 8 small flour tortillas (use corn tortillas for a gluten-free option)
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, poblano pepper, half the lime juice, and half the cilantro. Mix well and set a side.
- Season the tilapia with the taco seasoning. Heat half the olive oil in a saute pan on medium high heat. Once hot, add the fillets and cook about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Once cooked, carefully break the tilapia into pieces. Drizzle remaining lime juice on top. Set aside.
- In a second pan, heat the remaining olive oil on high heat. Once hot add the corn and cook just until the corn begins to char. Remove from heat.
- Lay the tortillas on a flat surface. First, place the cooked fish inside each. Top with the tomato mixture followed by the charred corn, green cabbage, and remaining cilantro. Last, finish with a dollop of the Greek yogurt.
Once you try these delightful Summer tacos, be sure to let us know what you thought of them in the comment section! If you love them, try these awesome recipes next:
- Spicy Korean Tacos
- Skinny Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Crispy Zucchini Tacos with Chipotle Cream Recipe
- Gluten-Free Mango and Black Bean Tacos
- Authentic Everything Beef Tacos