Whether you want to slip into a stylin’ new tankini, or you need the energy to take on the beach with one partner, 3 kids, and 2 dogs, you’ve got to stock the kitchen for success. The fabulous news is that summertime is the right time to grab some of the top superfoods in season—that means they’re easy to find and cheap. Here is your Skinny Guide to summer produce (snag a full list of good-for-you foods with our 50 Superfoods- The Ultimate Shopping List).
Summer Superfoods- Fruits:
- Blueberries– They’re packed with polyphenols, which is a fancy name for an antioxidant believed to boost heart health, fight cancer, and break down or prevent fat cells from forming. Blueberries provide the perfect amount of natural sweetness to many dishes, like this healthy breakfast recipe for Oatmeal Blueberry Protein Pancakes.
- Raspberries– Stock up on these berries, which pack 8 grams of fiber per serving, to help you feel full and make you less likely to hit the pool snack bar. Enjoy raspberries and other summer superfoods with this Skinny Berry Parfait.
- Strawberries– With loads of antioxidants, including powerhouse Vitamin C, this superfood is a summer superstar. Dive into strawberry season with this Strawberry and Avocado Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing.
- Tart Cherries– These red gems contain anthocyanin, a substance that may activate fat-burning molecules. Researchers have also found that it may reduce inflammation-caused pain, which makes them a smart choice if inflammation keeps you from working out as much as you’d like. Treat yourself to this Chocolate-Cherry Almond Shake.
- Watermelons– They deliver higher levels of cancer-preventing lycopene than tomatoes. (Hint: Let it get to room temp first. The watermelon produces less lycopene when chilled.) Need another reason to indulge? Just 46 calories a serving. Give our tasty Watermelon Chiller a try.
Summer Superfoods- Vegetables:
- Asparagus– The Vitamin K in this veggie will build strong bones and improve blood clotting, while its antioxidants repair the free-radical damage that ages cells. Get your fix with this Crustless Asparagus Quiche.
- Avocados– Don’t fear this superfood, which has a reputation for being on the fatty side. The skinny truth is that avocados are rich in the good kind of fat, which fills you up and provides all-day energy. Give them a go in this Creamy Avocado Dip.
- Eggplants– This meaty veggie is a versatile and yummy way to get fiber and antioxidants. The eggplant also offers a high amount of water content, making it a refreshing summertime choice. Check out Grilled Eggplant & Zucchini Salad.
- Tomatoes– No matter how you pronounce this summer superfood, there’s no denying they are a smart addition to your weight loss or weight maintenance diet. Luscious, juicy and good in so many recipes—is it just me or does anyone else suddenly have a craving for an Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fresh Herbs…yum!
Get the most out of this Skinny Guide to summer produce by checking out 4 Ways to Enjoy Superfoods Without Breaking the Bank. Happy Summer!
Don’t forget fresh herbs in your healthy recipes this summer. See 11 Incredibly Powerful Herbs.
For more powerful Superfood recipes, be sure to get a copy of our Skinny Ms. Superfood Cookbook!