Toast isn’t just for butter and jam–it’s a great base for veggies, too! Our arugula, mushroom, and tomato poached egg toast provides a veggie-packed way to start your day. Plus, if you make this delicious dish during the summer, you’ll be able to use seasonal tomatoes and arugula. This toast is loaded with fiber, thanks to the whole-wheat bread and the veggies. It’s also a great source of protein, thanks to the eggs. In addition to protein, eggs contain almost every nutrient, so you can feel great about making them part of your morning routine.
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 toast | Calories: 220 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 330mg | Carbohydrates: 17g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 10g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 slices whole wheat sourdough bread
- 1/3 cup baby arugula
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 2 large eggs, poached
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil. Once hot add the mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Cook until mushrooms are soft and they have released all their liquid.
- While the mushrooms cook, toasted the bread to desired done-ness. Top each sliced of toast with arugula and tomato. Once mushrooms have finished cooking, place the mushrooms on top of the tomato. Gently lay the poach egg on top of the mushrooms and sprinkle with coarse ground pepper. Serve and enjoy!