Avocado and Mango SaladNothing says health, happiness, and warm, tropical flavor like a vibrant mix of colorful fruits and vegetables brightening up your salad plate. This Avocado and Mango Salad combines some of our favorite superfoods and has a sophisticated, gourmet feel. Whether you’re treating yourself to a lovely, light lunch, or serving an appetizer salad to guests on the weekend, this avocado salad makes an impressive presentation and is a delight to any palate.
Avocados are well-known for their numerous health benefits. This fruit is one of a kind, delivering mild, mellow flavor and beautiful, creamy texture. It’s also high in fiber, which aids in digestion and weight loss, and stabilizes blood sugar. It’s bursting with potassium, vitamins C and K, and folate, which are essential nutrients that can be difficult to fit into our diets! And while you may know that avocados contain fat, the type of fat they contain is oleic acid, which is heart healthy, an anti-inflammatory, and a cancer-fighter.
And mangoes are no slouch on the nutrition front, either! Rich in vitamin A, which is excellent for skin and eye health, vitamin C, a well-known immune booster, and antioxidants which fight cancer and heart disease, this fruit is a star. It’s also loaded with fiber, and its sweet taste mingles with mellow avocado for a real treat. Drizzling a bit of lime, honey, and cayenne gives you a tangy, salty, and sweet flavor that delivers tons of taste with very few calories.
*calculated with fat free feta, crumbled Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 244 | Total Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 17 mg | Sodium: 165 mg | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 11 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10 |
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 cups (about 7 ounces) mesclun/spring greens
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or fat free feta (you can use regular, if preferred)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder (more or less depending on spiciness desired, if any)
- *Additional 1/4 teaspoon maldon sea salt flakes or other coarse sea salt to serve, optional
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt and chili powder until well combined.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes ,stirring all the while, until fragrant and slightly golden. Remove from the skillet and chop coarsely when cool enough to handle.
- Add the mango, avocado, walnuts, and mesclun to the bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the top to serve. If using, sprinkle on the coarse sea salt or maldon sea salt flakes.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.