This easy summer salad makes the most of the season!
Summertime is a great time to enjoy a refreshing salad that takes only minutes to prepare and makes full use of the season’s superstar ingredients. Tomatoes, avocados, and cucumbers all begin to shine during the summer months, and this is the best time to enjoy them. Visit your local farmer’s market, and find ripe avocados, juicy tomatoes, and crisp, crunchy cucumbers for your healthy summer salad. Sometimes, when the sun and the humidity are high, a cooling salad like this one is a refreshing break from heavy meat dishes, cumbersome sandwiches, and baked meals that heat up the kitchen!
Simple peel and slice your avocados, slice your cucumbers, and toss them with your cherry tomatoes in a bath of balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add some red onions and arugula for savory appeal, and you’ve got yourself a salad that works well as a side, accompanying fish or chicken, or as a meal in itself, with some whole grain bread to sop up some of that extra balsamic!
And this salad is chock full of superfoods! Avocados are rich in fiber, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. They’re also loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats in the form of oleic acid. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene and vitamin C, as well as other antioxidants. And cucumbers are fiber-rich, and full of B vitamins. This is a salad you can have double helpings of…it’s a bowl full of nutrition!
Avocado, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved (mix orange, red, and yellow if available)
- 2 cucumbers sliced
- 1 red onion medium, sliced thin
- 4 cups arugula
- In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Adjust the taste if needed.
- In the serving bowl, combine all the vegetables then dress with the balsamic dressing before eating.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on Skinny Ms.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.