Casseroles have a bad rap as high-calorie comfort food, but this vegetarian dish is about to change that. With this baked zucchini, spinach, and feta casserole, what you see is what you get. This dish packs a hearty dose of veggies, meanwhile boasting all the cheesy goodness you look for in a casserole. Made with low-fat feta and parmesan, this recipe also uses whole-wheat bread crumbs to keep things light. And if you thought all those veggies were just to cut calories, think again. Delicious and flavorful, these summer garden classics happen to be some of the healthiest veggies around. Not only are you getting a meal both light and filling, but these veggies also pack a hefty dose of vitamins. Meanwhile, pairing some of the best ingredients of the summer with the warmth and comfort of a casserole makes this baked zucchini dish the perfect year-round meal.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 162 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 326mg | Carbohydrates: 20g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 small zucchini, diced small
- 2 small yellow squash, diced small
- 1/4 cup fat free feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (whole wheat) panko bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the spinach, zucchini, and yellow squash. Cook, about 5 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and squash is soft. Drain off any excess liquid and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to mixing bowl with the spinach mix. Combine well and spread the mixture in an even layer in the prepared casserole dish. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool slightly before serving.
For more baked zucchini recipes with a twist, check out 13 Ways to Use Zucchini!