Need an elegant side salad to dress up dinner? Look no further than this roasted beet and pecan salad. This dish is salad with a delicious and classy touch. And don’t worry, we won’t tell your guests how easy it was.
I don’t know about you, when I think salad, I think leafy greens. Don’t worry, those are here too! In fact, super healthy baby spinach forms the base of this salad. But this salad also features a chronically under-appreciated veggie: beets!
For anyone who associates veggies with green stuff, beets can be sort of alarming at first. With their deep and vibrant purple color, beets are a veggie like no other.
In fact, the first time I ever had beets as a child, I thought they were big chunks of purple jello. Boy was I ever wrong. And, admittedly, somewhat disappointed.
When you’re not expecting jello, however, beets are actually a delicious veggie, as rich in flavor as they are in color. They have a sweet, earthy flavor that I’ve yet to find matched by any other veggie.
Not to mention, beets also happen to pack some awesome health benefits. These vegetables are full of vitamins, fiber, and other nutrients like potassium and manganese. Beets also boast anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making them a great addition to any diet. Meanwhile, beets also support your body’s detox process. Not bad, right? If you still need more convincing, check out this article for three more reasons to enjoy beets.
This beet and pecan salad recipe uses roasted beets, coated and cooked in olive oil, salt, and honey. These delicious flavors are the perfect complement to the earthy-sweet flavor of the beets themselves.
And the best news? Roasting the beets in the oven is as hard as this recipe gets. (But if you need help getting started, check out this video for the best way to prep and peel your beets!) Once the beets are cooked until tender and cooled, it’s time to assemble the rest of the salad.
Place the baby spinach in a large serving dish and top with the cooled beets. Then, sprinkle with pecans and blue cheese. Lastly, drizzle the salad with the remaining olive oil, honey, and dark balsamic vinegar to complete the rich, earthy flavor.
This simple salad is unique, flavorful and super easy. Elegant in flavor and presentation, it makes a perfect side for any dinner party or holiday. Delicious and filling all on its own, you can also enjoy this salad as a healthy vegetarian entree.
If you’re tired of the same old leafy green salad, this beet and pecan salad is the perfect way to mix things up and bring some fresh flavors to your go-to side salad.
And if this recipe makes a beet lover out of you, try some of these other tasty and unique beet recipes:
- Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Sautéed Beets and Greens
- Slow Cooker Beets with Creamy Goat Cheese Sauce
- Red Beet Hummus
- Belly Dance Beet Salad
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 114 | Total Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 218mg | Carbohydrates: 11g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Protein: 3g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
- 1 pound red beets, peeled and cut in to large chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoons dark balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, combine the beets, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the honey. Toss to coat the beets in all of the ingredients. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until beets are tender. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- On a large serving dish, place the spinach. Top with the cooled beets. Sprinkle the pecans and blue cheese on top of the beets. Last, drizzle the remaining olive oil, honey, and balsamic vinegar on top of all of the ingredients. Serve and enjoy.