When the two meet, it's love at first bite.
On the hunt for healthy jalapeño poppers? How about clean eating mac and cheese? If you’ve nearly given up on your hopes of enjoying these two dishes in a healthy way, we’ve come to your rescue! You’ll love this jalapeño popper mac and cheese, made with clean ingredients to keep the calories down and the flavor delicious. A creamy low-fat cheese sauce and crunchy whole wheat bread crumbs give it the crunch and flavor you love, but add healthful protein and fiber normally not found in a dish like this. The end result is a meal that will satisfy you, while helping you stick to your diet.
Clean Eating Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese
- 3 cups whole-grain macaroni noodles dry, cooked according to the package directions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion small, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour I used white whole-wheat
- 2 cups milk low-fat
- 2 cups colby jack cheese low-fat
- 4 ounces cream cheese low-fat
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking 1 more minute. Stir in the mustard powder and flour and season with salt and pepper. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute and turn off heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Colby jack and all of the cream cheese. Add the cooked pasta and stir until well coated. Transfer to a casserole dish.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What are some of your favorite Skinny Ms. healthy comfort food recipes? How about clean eating dishes that bring the spice and the crunch? Fill us in on your favorite recipes below.