Do you want a truly wholesome recipe without tons of prep time? Are you looking for comfort food that pads your heart and soul, not your butt and thighs? We hear you. That is why we have brought you our ultra-comforting yet refreshingly easy version of a beloved crock-pot classic. Our Crock-Pot Rustic Chicken Stew will warm your soul and deliver that homey goodness you long for. And it calls for an incredibly simple preparation process. What more could you ask for?
Skinless chicken thighs provide flavor, minus the fat. After a minimal amount of slicing and dicing (or buy your veggies prepared!), toss everything into the crock-pot and this tasty, heart-warming chicken stew dish will practically cook itself. Freshly cracked pepper adds some zing. Don’t be afraid to play with more or less spice depending on your mood. We encourage moody cooking over here at SkinnyMs. If it’s not fun, it’s not cooking! So go on, get your crock-pot chicken stew a-stewin’ and sit back and feel good about yourself – you deserve it.
A super popular crock-pot ingredient is chicken. In fact, we at SkinnyMs. have a significant number of crock-pot chicken recipes in our recipe archive to share with you. This particular recipe targets any cozy family kitchen craving something homey: a rustic chicken stew with everyday ingredients. Throw in some carrots, tomatoes, celery, and potatoes to accompany the chicken, and your healthy, delicious meal is complete. This dish is perfect for busy bees always on the move who still want to enjoy something tasty and loaded with health benefits.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 386 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 669 mg | Cholesterol: 71 mg | Carbohydrates: 47 g | Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 23 g | SmartPoints: 11
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (optional chicken breast filets)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and round slices
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes or 8 cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 bay leaves, torn in half
- 3 cups chicken broth, fat-free
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine all the ingredients, except the cornstarch, in the crock-pot then set on low for 8 hours, or high 4 hours.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, combine the cornstarch with one cup of the stew liquid in a small bowl. Whisk until the mixture becomes smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture to the chicken stew, stir and cook until it thickens up slightly.
- Before serving, drizzle with the extra-virgin olive oil and stir to combine.
Did you love this flavorful dish? Hungry for more crockpot recipes featuring juicy, delicious, protein-packed chicken? We’ve got you covered. Take a look at the recipes below!
Don’t miss out on the latest from SkinnyMs. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.