When you think of a sandwich, what comes to mind? A pile of sliced deli meats and cheeses, bookended by thick bread? A heavy lunch that weighs you down and loads on the excess fat and calories? At SkinnyMs., we’ve reinvented the sandwich by bringing you lighter versions that often feature fruits and veggies which demonstrate that even a sandwich can pack superfood power!
We’re going ultra-lightweight and super refreshing with our Cucumber, Dill and Cream Cheese Sandwiches on Whole Wheat Toast. This open-faced, healthy sandwich recipe may not be a tall hero of a sandwich, but it plays the hero in giving you the nutrients that your body needs. Cucumbers provide anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidants, and anti-cancer agents. And their crunch is the perfect complement to rich, creamy low-fat cream cheese. Remember to use the cream cheese sparingly. A little goes a long way in terms of taste and texture, and you’ll avoid adding excess fat and calories if you stop yourself from piling it on!
A sprig of dill is the perfect herbal touch that makes this little sandwich a refreshing, warm-weather treat. Serve it on trays at an outdoor party, at book club, or at brunch. It’s delightful crunch and delicious flavor combo will please your guests’ taste buds without weighing them down.
Cucumber and Cream Cheese Sandwiches
- 6 ounces cream cheese low-fat
- 1 tablespoon dill fresh, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest finely grated
- 6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 1 cucumber small or 1/2 big, thinly sliced (use a mandoline)
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese, dill, and lemon zest.
- Toast all the slices of bread.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on each slice of bread then top with the cucumber.
- Cutaway the sides of the bread. You can also quarter each slice to make bite sizes.
More Healthy Sandwiches You Might Like:
Tomato, Hummus, and Spinach Sandwich
Overstuffed Veggie Sandwich
Veggie & Pesto Sandwich
Roasted Pear Sandwich with Baby Spinach
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Bok Choy, Red Grapes and Walnuts
If you are like what you see in SkinnyMs., subscribe to our newsletter and never get left behind to what’s new in healthy living.