Mix up a healthy salad with DIY dressing!
Need a nutritious meal that’s a cinch to prepare? This is where salads shine. Tomatoes are a popular ingredient, as they are both tasty and rich in vitamin C and lycopene. Cucumbers are nutritional powerhouses themselves, containing cucurbitacins A, B, C, D, and E. These compounds block the development of cancer cells in our bodies. Toss in some onions and croutons and dress your salad with a homemade vinaigrette.
Cucumber, Tomato, and Crouton Salad
- 4 slices whole-grain bread stale is better
- 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cucumbers diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved or quartered or 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion big, sliced
- Slice and discard the sides of the bread then cube the bread with a sharp knife.
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, toast the diced bread until golden brown then set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mustard, vinegar, the remaining 4 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Adjust the amount of salt if needed. You can also put all these ingredients in a small jar, seal it and shake it well.
- In a large salad serving bowl, distribute the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and croutons.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette when ready to eat.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Here are more amazing summer salad recipes that you can enjoy:
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.