Beautiful to look at an packed full of nutrients.
These brightly colored, easy sweet potato hashbrown cakes are not only stunning to look at, but they’re also more nutritionally valuable than the classic white potato version. They also happen to be super easy to make, too. All you need is one bowl to mix all the ingredients. After you cook them, they become a complete meal with a sprinkling of fresh parsley and a poached egg. I prefer mine fresh and crispy, but others say they are good leftover as well. I doubt they would last that long in my house; my family will gobble these up!
Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
Breakfast? Brunch? Lunch? Dinner? These easy sweet potato hashbrown cakes fit at any mealtime. For a regular breakfast treat, I recommend topping these hashbrown cakes with freshly ground black pepper. But, if you want to get extra fancy, go crazy and add sliced avocado, salsa, or hot sauce—any (or all) of your favorite extra toppings.
The bulk of their mass comes from the eggs and, of course, the sweet potatoes. This means these versatile hashbrowns do well on not only in protein content, but they’re also are lower in total calories. Sweet potatoes offer a whole range of benefits from boosting your immunity and regulating digestion to attenuating the symptoms of bronchitis and asthma. By choosing to use healthier oils (like coconut and olive oil), you’re also choosing to support a healthy brain and providing your body with heart-promoting fats.
Got leftover sweet potato and want clever ways to use them up? Oh, you read my MIND! Hesitate no longer with our Sweet Potato Curried Soup, Spiced Sweet Potato Mash, or cheesy, Mexican-inspired Sweet Potato Nachos.
The Perfect Poached Egg?
Poached eggs are not just for Sunday brunch! Once mastered, the poached egg is a surprisingly easy way to elevate all your quick meal fixes. I used to be intimidated by all the different opinions on the ideal water temperature, the “whirlpool” instructions, and how long to leave it to cook.
Fret not; we’ve detailed everything you need to know to make the perfect poached egg. They turn out tender, ready to explode, and perfectly seasoned, all without the fuss.
Are you going to make these sweet potato hashbrown cakes? We’d love to see! Snap a pic and tag Skinny Ms on Instagram!
Easy Sweet Potato Hashbrown Cakes with Poached Egg
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and shredded
- 3 egg whites lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil melted
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 eggs poached (if needed check out our How to Make a Perfect Poached Egg recipe)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley roughly chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato, egg whites, salt, pepper, and coconut oil.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, form the potato mixture into patties and place in the hot oil. Cook for about 5 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Place the hashbrown patties on to a serving dish, two patties per dish, with the poach egg on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Join the conversation on Facebook for all the updates of our best-loved recipes!