When you think about traditional casseroles, what do yo picture? Slicing into a steaming concoction of macaroni, cheese, and butter? Digging your fork into a plate of chicken, its health benefits obscured by layers of cream? At SkinnyMs., we’ve turned our backs on traditional, unhealthy casseroles, and have embraced casseroles in their new form. Casseroles can be healthy, packed with veggies, and pulled together by delicious ingredients that add loads of flavor and delicious texture without packing in the fat and calories.
The star of this healthy casserole recipe is zucchini. Zucchini is essential for eaters who are watching their waistlines. It clocks in at just 17 calories per a 100 gram serving, making it a low calorie veggie that is also substantial enough to fill you up and satisfy you. We’ve rounded out this casserole with nothing but good decisions. Egg whites are used in place of whole eggs, reducing your fat and calorie intake. And whole wheat panko breadcrumbs supply a bit of texture and crunch, instead of the refined white breadcrumbs that do nothing to enhance a dish’s nutritional value.
This is a great dish to warm up a fall or winter weekend, so keep it on your calendar for the chilly months ahead. But try it out before summer ends, because zucchini is in season in the late summer, and fresh zucchini in this casserole will enhance its flavor and have you coming after seconds!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 205 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Carbs: 18g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 9g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 565mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, (whole wheat were used in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a double boiler, steam zucchini for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, use a hand blender to cream the zucchini. Then using a beater, add the egg whites, onion, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread mixture in an 8-inch casserole pan.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil with the panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle casserole with panko and cheese, cover loosely with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 7 additional minutes. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil before serving.
More Easy Zucchini Recipes:
Let us hear what you have to say about SkinnyMs. Feel free to leave a comment about this post or any SkinnyMs. Content.