Need to incorporate fruit into your diet, but getting tired of your usual favorites? Try grilling apples and pears, enhancing their taste while retaining the same health benefits. Plus, these skewers are perfect appetizers that can be assembled and grilled in no time. Match them with cheese for a real crowd-pleaser. If you can’t find Parmigiano Reggiano, don’t fret, use other types of cheese, including cheddar, gouda, or pecorino.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 skewer | Calories: 81 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 7 mg | Sodium: 159 mg | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 1 apple, quartered
- 1 pear, quartered
- 4 cubes Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 fresh mint or sage leaves
- Balsamic vinegar (optional
- On a griddle or barbecue grill, quickly cook the pears and apples until grill marks appear.
- Insert a slice of pear and apple in each skewer with a mint or sage leaf in between each other.
- If you are using a steel skewer, make the tip hot first before inserting the Parmigiano Reggiano because it tends to break easily.
- Before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar if using.
You might also like our other recipes with cheese: