This Italian Garbanzo Bean Salad is a light and tasty alternative to a pasta salad.
This Italian Garbanzo Bean Salad is a light and tasty alternative to a pasta salad. Garbanzo beans are very filling and add a healthy amount of protein, so you won’t even notice the lack of carbs and sugar. It’s nice and healthy, since we loaded this salad up with nutrient-rich vegetables like tomatoes, fennel, and red onion. Plus, power greens kale, spinach, and arugula add natural iron and fiber. It’s all very easily thrown together in a balsamic and olive oil vinaigrette and topped with Parmesan cheese.
This would be a fantastic accompaniment to a nice Chicken Roast with Lemon & Rosemary or even Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Stew. If you’re planning on making it ahead of time, leave the dressing separate until just before eating.
Italian Garbanzo Bean Salad
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans can, low-sodium, drained
- 1 cup roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped small
- 1/2 cup fennel sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley fresh, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil fresh, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons dark balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/2 cup parmesan or asiago cheese, low-fat, shaved
- In a small bowl combine garbanzo beans, tomato, onion, fennel, garlic, parsley, basil, salt, vinegar, and olive oil. Toss well to coat all ingredients in herbs and oil.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, kale, and arugula. Toss to combine and add garbanzo mixture and gently toss a second time. Divide among serving bowls and top with shaved parmesan. Serve with additional balsamic vinegar and oil if desired or a fresh lemon wedge.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
How did this recipe turn out for you? We’d love to hear about it, so please feel free to share your feedback with us in the comments!