Do something different with this fun twist on a classic!
This Low-Carb Stuffed Cabbage Enchiladas recipe is brilliant! It takes all the flavor you love from Mexican-style enchiladas and combines it with the low-carb cooking technique of stuffed cabbage rolls. You get to enjoy the lean protein of shredded chicken breasts swimming in a spicy, sugar-free enchilada sauce, all for only 4 grams of carbohydrates per serving. But it gets better than that: you’ll also get a massive 32 grams of protein, all for fewer than 300 calories. Yes; this high-protein, low-carb recipe really does have it all!
Low-Carb Stuffed Cabbage Enchiladas
There is a trick to making Low-Carb Stuffed Cabbage Enchiladas easier to make, and it all starts with preparing the cabbage. If you were to try to roll the cabbage leaves raw, you might get pretty frustrated. Their crispy texture would make them break as soon as you hit the first fold! To make life easier, simply boil the leaves in a large pot of water for about 30 seconds. You’ll notice they start to soften as soon as they hit the hot water, so using them as “tortillas” will be a breeze!
From there, it’s all about creating a flavorful filling. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken. If you don’t have shredded chicken on hand, pick up two (5-ounce) chicken breasts at the store and simmer them in water until they’re cooked through and shreddable. It’s also a great excuse to try out our Slow Cooker Everything Chicken recipe. We call it “everything” chicken because it goes with everything, including Low-Carb Stuffed Cabbage Enchiladas!
From there, use your prepared cabbage leaves like tortillas. Add the filling to each leaf, roll it up like a burrito, and place it in the casserole dish. Top it with a sugar-free enchilada sauce and sprinkle on some cheese. By the time the cheese is melted and bubbly, the dish will be ready to enjoy!
Low-Carb Stuffed Cabbage Enchiladas
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups boneless and skinless chicken breasts shredded (leftovers work great!)
- 1 cup no-sugar added enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup fat free cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a small casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, place each cabbage leave into the water for about 30 seconds. Remove, place on paper towel, and gently pat dry.
- Once cabbage leaves are cooked, heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, salt, red pepper, and chicken. Cook until chicken is hot and remove from stove.
- Place the cabbage leaves on a flat surface. Divide the chicken mixture evenly between each leaf and place in a line down the center. Fold in the side of each leaf and roll into a burrito shape. Place in the prepared casserole dish. Pour the enchilada sauce over top and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We have a great collection of low-carb, high-protein recipes on our Pinterest boards. Give us a follow to stay in the loop with all the latest recipes.