Sometimes you crave a tasty, gooey, comforting and simple pleasure. But many of our favorite go-to indulgences are notorious for packing on the fat and calories! One of our favorite new tricks here at SkinnyMs. is to take some of our favorite, crave-worthy recipes, and use veggies that are low in fat and calories, and bursting with flavor and nutrients, in place of highly caloric, simple carbohydrates.
These zucchini pizza boats are a healthy pizza recipe that takes the fattening crust out of your pizza, and replaces it with antioxidant and fiber rich zucchini. We use low-fat cheese, tangy tomatoes, and ground turkey to create a filling, satisfying, and super tasty dish, with only clean eating ingredients that cut down on fat without sacrificing flavor. Plus, this recipe doesn’t require your to mix dough, roll it out, and bake it to perfection. Subbing in an easy veggie like zucchini makes creating pizzas at home that much easier!
Serve these pizza boats on a weeknight, to family. Or save them for a special outdoor party or even the next game night you host at home. They’re a crowd pleaser that doesn’t take a ton of your time, and is sure to be a hit with kids and adults!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 boat | Calories: 116 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 16 mg | Sodium: 349 mg | Carbohydrates: 8 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 ounces ground turkey
- 1 cup marinara sauce, no sugar added
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, diced
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, sautè the garlic in extra virgin olive oil until golden and fragrant. Add the turkey and cook until it changes color.
- Pour the marinara sauce then cook for about 10 minutes. Season with the oregano, salt and pepper.
- While making the sauce, slice the zucchini in half vertically then scoop out the middle pulp. Leave about 1/2 centimeter of pulp close to the skin. Reserve the scooped out pulp for other recipes.
- On a baking sheet lined with baking paper, place the zucchini with the hollow part facing up. Spoon the sauce in each zucchini.
- Bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven then quickly sprinkle the mozzarella on top of the zucchini.
- Put them back in the oven and bake for another 3 minutes or until the mozzarella has completely melted.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil before serving.
More Amazing Zucchini Recipes at SkinnyMs.:
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!