Make broccoli rabe the star of this dish!
It’s rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as calcium, potassium, and iron. Doesn’t broccoli rabe sound super healthy? As a bonus, it’s nutty and has a nice texture, a versatile vegetable that can be incorporated into almost any dish. Here, we’re making it the focus in the Italian dish, risotto. The arborio rice, broccoli rabe, and toasted zucchini create a harmonious blend. The addition of the ricotta allows the flavors to become even more round and complex.
Risotto with Broccoli Rabe, Ricotta, & Toasted Zucchini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove halved
- 1 chili removed seeds, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 pound broccoli rabe chopped
- 2 cup rice (the Italian rice varieties to use are carnaroli, arborio, vialone nano or roma)
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth low-sodium
- 2 zucchini diced
- 2 ounces ricotta cheese low-fat, more if needed (can be replaced with parmesan cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic and chili (if using). When the garlic turns golden brown, discard it. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice. Stir constantly to coat the rice with the oil for about 3 minutes. Pour the white wine and let the alcohol evaporate, about 2 minutes. Add about one-third of the vegetable broth then stir.
- As you continue cooking the risotto, keep on adding the vegetable broth and keep on stirring. Don't let it dry up and stick to the bottom to the pan.
- Meanwhile, on medium heat, in another saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, toast the zucchini until golden brown. Set aside. At the end of cooking the risotto, which should have a creamy consistency and the rice is al dente, turn off the fire then add the ricotta. The amount of ricotta can be adjusted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately while still piping hot with the toasted zucchini sprinkled on top and drizzle with fresh extra virgin olive oil.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Here are more delicious vegetarian dishes to try:
Vegetarian White Bean Cassoulet
Spicy Southwestern Vegetarian Burger
Zucchini Ribbon Salad With Pine Nuts and Parmesan Shavings
Crispy Mediterranean Vegetable Cakes
Vegetarian Panini with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese
If you want to stay abreast with Skinny Ms. on the latest about clean eating, recipes and more, subscribe to our newsletter.
You can follow us on Facebook and Pinterest so you don’t miss out on anything.
We value what you think. Please take a second in telling us what you liked most about Skinny Ms.