It’s rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as calcium, potassium, and iron. Doesn’t broccoli rabe sound super healthy? As a bonus, it’s nutty and has a nice texture, a versatile vegetable that can be incorporated into almost any dish. Here, we’re making it the focus in the Italian dish, risotto. The arborio rice, broccoli rabe, and toasted zucchini create a harmonious blend. The addition of the ricotta allows the flavors to become even more round and complex.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup risotto | Calories: 474 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 12 mg | Sodium: 272 mg | Carbohydrates: 76 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 15 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 chili, seeds taken away & finely chopped (optional)
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, chopped
- 2 cups rice (the Italian rice varieties to use are Carnaroli, Arborio, Vialone Nano or Roma)
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 zucchini diced
- 2 ounces low fat ricotta cheese, more if needed (can be replaced with Parmesan cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic and chili (if using). When the garlic turns golden brown, discard it. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice. Stir constantly to coat the rice with the oil for about 3 minutes. Pour the white wine and let the alcohol evaporate, about 2 minutes. Add about one-third of the vegetable broth then stir.
- As you continue cooking the risotto, keep on adding the vegetable broth and keep on stirring. Don't let it dry up and stick to the bottom to the pan.
- Meanwhile, on medium heat, in another saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, toast the zucchini until golden brown. Set aside. At the end of cooking the risotto, which should have a creamy consistency and the rice is al dente, turn off the fire then add the ricotta. The amount of the ricotta can be adjusted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately while still piping hot with the toasted zucchini sprinkled on top and drizzle with fresh extra virgin olive oil.
Here are more delicious vegetarian dishes to try:
We value what you think. Please take a second in telling us what you liked most about SkinnyMs.