When you place the lid on top of your slow cooker, you leave your dinner in the hands of a machine, crossing your fingers that, hours later, a delicious meal will be waiting for you. As tired as you often are after the workday, you don’t need any surprises! And if you have a family to feed, you want that satisfaction that comes with serving a delicious meal and hearing your loved ones say, “Wow! That’s good!”
This simple dish is a no-brainer, finishing after 6 hours of cooking with an amazing tasty and tender chicken dinner every time. And although it may taste as if it were being served at a restaurant, it contains only low-fat, low-calorie ingredients that are high in quality. Lean chicken delivers a whopping dose of protein without the excess fat. Light soy sauce reduces the sodium content, and coconut sugar is a healthy substitute for refined white cane sugar, and does a great job of amping up this dish’s flavor profile without adding processed ingredients.
Try this delightful, zesty balsamic chicken with a whole grain side such as quinoa, farro, or brown rice. A helping of leafy greens complements this recipe perfectly, and rounds out your meal with nutrients and fiber. This chicken is versatile enough to pair with a number of healthy sides, so take your pick, and wow your family and friends.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 259 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 223 mg | Carbohydrates: 6 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 25 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 4 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped, for garnishing (optional)
- Pour olive oil in the slow cooker and add the chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken, cover and cook on low 6 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Slice the chicken then place them on the serving plate. Pour half the sauce over the chicken and serve the rest in a dish on the side. Sprinkle chive on top of chicken.
- Garnish with tomatoes if desired.
Here are more amazing Slow Cooker chicken recipe ideas:
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.