Put a healthy, gourmet twist on a classic favorite.
After experimenting in the kitchen with new dishes, trendy ingredients, and innovative cooking methods, a comforting, traditional slow cooker beef dish can feel downright refreshing! There are thousands of versions of beef and mushroom casserole dishes, but not many of them combine distinctive flavor with clean, healthy ingredients, and easy preparation. Our slow cooker casserole recipe hits all three of those marks.
We’ve added a sophisticated twist with a cup of red wine. The alcohol will evaporate after you cook the wine in a saucepan, so you’ll be adding nothing but flavor, tannins, and antioxidants to your slow cooker. Browning your beef beforehand lends it a depth of flavor that combines well with the wine, and integrates perfectly with the rest of your ingredients.
Toast your mushrooms with the onions for an earthy, flavorful combo that complements the beef and brings out the best flavors in each ingredient. After preparing your beef and veggies, you can combine them with the rest of your ingredients in the slow cooker, and then go about your day while your dinner simmers away. When you lift that lid, you and your loved ones will be treated to a very tasty slow cooker beef casserole.
Slow Cooker Beef and Mushroom Casserole
- 1 pound beef cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt separated
- 1 teaspoon pepper more if desired
- 1 cup red wine optional vegetable broth
- 1 onion medium, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 carrot big, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup celery coarsely chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs fresh
- 2 bay leaves fresh, torn
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- Rub the beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper then brown them in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Cook by batches if necessary so that you don't overcrowd the saucepan.
- Pour the red wine in the saucepan and cook for about 8 minutes or until the alcohol has evaporated.
- Transfer the beef and the sauce in the slow cooker.
- In the same saucepan with new extra virgin olive oil, over medium heat, sautè the onions then the mushrooms, for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are slightly golden and have released their water and it has evaporated.
- Add mushrooms and onions, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves, tomato paste, broth, and the remaining salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Set on high for 6 hours.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You will love our other Beef Slow Cooker recipes. Check them out: