Switch up your normal sandwich with this delicious recipe!
Healthy sandwiches are a great option for a light dinner or nutritious lunch. Our steak fajita sandwiches are hearty enough to fill you up for hours, but are not loaded with fat or nitrates found in many traditional sandwiches. If you love steak fajitas, but taking fajitas to work for lunch is not practical, this sandwich will satisfy your craving. Delicious sandwiches are convenient and can be very healthy. This one is packed with protein, niacin, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, and vitamins B6 and B12.
We understand how difficult it can be to create dinners that make everyone in the family happy. It is even tougher when you are also packing lunches. Eating the same thing day after day or week after week gets boring and it can even be unhealthy. When you can put a creative spin on family favorites, you expand your menu and prevent boredom. Instead of regular fajitas, you can wrap up the meat and veggies in a pita and serve it in a neat little package.
Kids love these fajitas because they are colorful and delicious. Adults enjoy the taste and love the health benefits. This is as close to a perfect family meal as you will find anywhere.
Steak Fajita Sandwiches
- 4 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion medium, sliced into strips
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red bell pepper medium, cut into strips
- 1 pound beef sirloin tip steak cut into thin strips - grass-fed beef recommended
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 pita pockets cut in half - gluten free or whole-wheat
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves torn
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain nonfat
- In a large skillet, on medium-low heat, sauté mushrooms in olive oil about 6 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and continue sautéing until onion and pepper are tender, about 4 minutes. Add in sirloin strips, and cook on medium heat for 5–10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir well, cover, and simmer 5 more minutes. Drain mixture.
- Stuff pita halves with meat mixture and romaine lettuce, and top with a dollop of yogurt.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.