Satisfy your craving for Indian cuisine with this fast, simple recipe.
Sometimes I get a craving for Indian cuisine. It’s funny, because I used to dislike Indian food. I’ve been told that your tastebuds change from time to time, though, and it must be true. As my palate became more sophisticated, I eventually came to love Indian food! When those cravings hit, this Summer Herbed Naan bread recipe satisfies every time.
While living in a small town has its advantages, it comes with one major disadvantage: Indian food is not readily available unless I make it at home. I was intimidated at first by the exotic spices and cooking techniques. Being adventurous by nature and always willing to accept a challenge, I quickly learned to master new techniques. Better than that, I even discovered ways to simplify some of them. I’ve also been able to add a personal touch to classic Indian dishes to make them my own.
This easy flatbread is the perfect complement for these delicious recipes:
Why I love Summer Herbed Naan
There are several reasons to fall in love with Summer Herbed Naan. First, it only takes a few minutes to whip up this easy Indian flatbread. Not only that, but you can use whatever fresh or dried herbs you happen to have on hand. Since you don’t need yeast for this recipe, there’s no need to wait around for the dough to rise, either.
Finally, the best part about naan is how well it freezes. After you bake it, let it cool and store it in an airtight bag in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, simply thaw it and reheat it for a few minutes in the oven.
Trust me, you’re going to want to have plenty of Summer Herbed Naan on hand, so go ahead and make several batches!
Summer Herbed Naan Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt plain, fat-free
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons thyme fresh or dried, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives fresh, chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Mix all ingredients except the ghee in a large bowl.
- Knead by hand for 1-2 minutes, until all ingredients are combined to form a sticky ball. Add a little more flour if needed.
- Divide the mixture into 6 even portions.
- Dust a rolling pin and your counter surface with flour. Roll out into 6" discs.
- Heat ghee in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook each disc for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Keep warm until ready to serve, or allow to cool and store in an air-tight container.
- Flatbread may be frozen for later use.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? First, subscribe to our newsletter.