Burgers that are bursting with sweet and savory flavors.
In the mood for a juicy and delicious burger? If so, these turkey burgers with balsamic caramelized onions are a fantastic choice. They’re made with nutritious ingredients you can feel good about, while also providing a drool worthy combination of flavors. This recipe is a great way to make burger night feel a little classier!
Flavorful Turkey Burgers
These homemade turkey burgers are made with fresh ingredients such as onion, garlic, and mushrooms. The veggies are sauteed first to bring out their savory flavors, and then mixed with juicy ground turkey and simple seasonings. Although they aren’t as easy as storebought versions, you’ll be so glad you took the extra time spent to create these delicious patties. We’ve used turkey over beef in this recipe so that those who can’t eat red meat, or are looking for a lighter option, can still partake. I personally find that turkey pairs better with the veggies and caramelized onion anyway! However, if you prefer beef, you can swap it in just as easily!
Sweet Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Onions contain natural sugars, so, when cooked slow and low, they develop a delicious caramelized texture. To increase the flavor even more, we slow cook these onions with balsamic, as well, which creates a mouthwatering sweet reduction. Together, the red onion and balsamic pair amazingly for the most uniquely sweet burger topping. We know the patties make up the bulk of this meal, however, the balsamic caramelized onions are definitely the star of this dish!
Additional Toppings and Potential Sides
Honestly, these turkey burgers with balsamic caramelized onions are so full of flavor as is, that you don’t need to add anything to them. But, you can top them with whatever you desire! We think some blue cheese or gorgonzola crumbles complement them wonderfully. Of course, you can never go wrong with some crispy bacon either! And then there are always the classic options of lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, and mustard.
When it comes to side dishes, your options are endless! Some tasty options include Must-Have Air Fried French Fries, Oven Sweet Potato Fries, Creamy Southern Style Coleslaw, Best Ever Potato Salad, or our Easy Baked Beans.
How To Make These High Protein Burgers
You will want to start by making your balsamic caramelized onions because they will take a bit longer to cook. Remember, low and slow will provide the best flavor! Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Then, add the sliced onions to the pan and toss them until they’re covered in oil. Next, drizzle the onions with the balsamic vinegar. Saute them for about 5 minutes or until soft, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until the onions turn to a golden brown color and are caramelized, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, get ready to make your turkey burgers by heating another pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, then once it’s hot, add the chopped red onion and mushrooms. Saute the veggies until soft, about 7 minutes, and then remove them from the pan. In a large bowl, combine the sauteed onion and mushroom, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mixed herbs, smoked paprika, ground turkey, and egg. Use your hands to fully mix the ingredients into a well combined mixture. Once combined, form 6 patties.
Heat a skillet or grill over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until they’re cooked all the way through. Once they’re done, place each patty on a whole wheat bun and top with caramelized onion and any other desired toppings.
Turkey Burgers with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Balsamic Caramelized Onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup brown mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs dried
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound ground turkey 93% lean
- 1 egg beaten
- 6 whole wheat burger buns
- any desired toppings lettuce, tomato, pickles, sauces, etc
Balsamic Caramelized Onion
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion and toss to cover in oil, then drizzle with balsamic.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or until soft, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions turn to a golden brown color and are caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil.
- Once hot, add chopped onion and mushrooms. Saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the sauteed onion and mushroom, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mixed herbs, smoked paprika, ground turkey, and egg. Use your hands to fully mix the ingredients into a well combined mixture.
- Once well mixed, form 6 patties
- Heat a skillet or grill over medium-high heat, then add the patties and cook until compeltely cooked through, for about 8-10 minutes.
- Once cooked, place on a whole wheat bun and top with caramelized onion and any other desired toppings
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more incredible recipes, subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. We’ll email you the latest and greatest recipes, workouts, meal plans, and more. You can also join our community of health enthusiasts by following us on Facebook and Pinterest.