What’s life without a little dessert every now and then? When you’re looking to give your sweet tooth some excitement, but you don’t want to veer off the path to a slimmer and healthier you, these crispy Whole-Grain Cinnamon Pita Chips are the answer you’ve been looking for.
Sure to satisfy any “sweet” craving, and made with 100% clean ingredients, this tasty recipe swaps unhealthy refined sugars and processed ingredients for spicy cinnamon, natural honey, and whole grain pita. Can you say, “YUM!”
A Light & Sweet, After Dinner Treat
Whole-Grain Cinnamon Pita Chips make a great snack or sweet treat after a meal. They’re especially perfect when served following one of our other savory Mexican recipes. A few wonderful options include:
- Vegetarian Mexican Loaf
- Cilantro Lime Chicken with Mexican Quinoa
- Slow Cooker Skinny Mexican Shredded Beef.
- Healthy Mexican Black Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Mexican Black Bean Soup
These crispy snacks also work as a great substitute for unhealthy sugary treats in your child’s lunchbox. They’ll love them and so will you because you’ll know that they’re getting an enjoyable and nutritious, low-calorie snack. Of course, you’ll also want them in your lunch box!
3 Healthy Ingredients
Do delectable recipes require a long list of ingredients and hours in the kitchen? Of course not! This recipe will prove it! All that you need to make this tasty treat is a package of whole wheat pitas, some honey, and a little bit of cinnamon. When combined, these ingredients are not only taste amazing, but they’re good for you too!
Whole wheat pitas are low in fat, calories, and sodium. They’re also an excellent source of fiber. Honey is a wonderful way to sweeten a dish naturally, and avoid artificial sweeteners that tend to make us crave more sugary foods. Lastly, cinnamon is one of the best calorie-free ways to add tons of flavor to any recipe! There are 5 grams of fiber and only 6 grams of sugar per 8 pita chips, making this snack a totally healthy option!
15 Minutes to Crispy Chips
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Cut each pita into 8 slices, just as you would a pizza. Once all of the pitas are cut, place them tightly together on a baking sheet in a single layer. The closer they are, the better! Drizzle the honey as evenly as possible over the chips and then sprinkle the cinnamon. Once they’re finished, they should be hard & crunchy like regular chips. That’s all it takes! Once they cool down, they’ll be ready to enjoy or be packaged up into single servings.
Yield: 12 servings | Serving Size: 8 chips or 1 pita | Calories: 193 | Total Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 341mg | Carbohydrates: 41g | Dietary Fiber: 5g | Sugars: 6g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 (12-count) package whole-wheat pitas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Cut the each pita bread into eight triangles, like you would a pizza. Spread them in a single layer on a non-stick cookie sheet, keeping them pushed together as much as possible. The less room you have between them the better.
- Drizzle the honey over the top, and then sprinkle on the cinnamon. Bake at 350° for approximately 15 minutes, or until the pitas are hard, like chips.
- Note: Chips will harden as they cool. If you take them out too soon and find that they did not harden enough, simply return to the oven until they are baked to your liking.
What do you think of this Pita Chips recipe? Are you looking forward to trying it? If so, be sure to let us know your thoughts after you make them!
If this is your kind of recipe, you may also want to check out these sweet treats too: