Everyone loves a classic Chicken Caesar Salad. This crunchy salad was invented by Italian immigrant Caesar Cardini, who served it in his restaurants in the early years of the 20th century, and saw that salad’s popularity spread across the nation. His mix of romaine lettuce, olive oil, parmesan, garlic, and croutons is an expert use of traditional Italian ingredients that results in a beautifully savory salad that’s also very nutritious when prepared with the right ingredients in the right amounts. We’ve concocted our own skinny Caesar salad that is perfect in a wrap for a quick and tasty lunch!
We use chicken breast in our Caesar, the leanest part of the chicken and a terrific source of lean protein. We’ve grilled the chicken breasts to cut down on excess fat and calories, and to give the salad a smoky taste. Lettuce is a leafy green that imparts vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, and we’ve tossed ours in a healthy dressing that includes flavorful lemon juice and protein-rich, low-fat Greek yogurt, giving the salad a creaminess and a zest without adding extra calories. And since no Caesar salad would be complete without croutons, we’ve made sure that ours are made with whole wheat, providing you with a fiber-rich, complex carbohydrate.
Our wraps are made from whole wheat as well, retaining this lunch’s health quotient. Simply grill your chicken and mix your sauce, and add the salad to your wraps, rolling them up and slicing them down the middle for a healthy, light lunch for one. Or, make a batch of these crowd-pleasers for friends and family!
Yields: 6 servings/3 wraps | Serving Size: 1/2 wrap | Calories: 303 | Total Fat: 17 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 53 mg | Sodium: 155 mg | Carbohydrates: 18 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 21 g | SmartPoints: 8
- 1 pound chicken breast fillets
- 4 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 whole grain tortillas (tortilla recipe)
- 3 cups lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat croutons
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan) cheese, shaved or grated
- Over medium heat, on a barbecue grill or griddle, grill both sides of the chicken and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- While cooking the chicken, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, yogurt, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. Set aside.
- When the chicken is cooked, dice then transfer to a large bowl. Pour half of the sauce on the chicken while still warm and mix well. Add the lettuce, croutons and the remaining sauce and toss to combine.
- Spoon the salad in the tortillas, sprinkle the Parmesan, roll the tortillas and slice in the middle.
Here are More Delicious Chicken Recipes: