Start your day with superfoods!
Once again, we have put superfood quinoa in the spotlight with this protein-rich breakfast. Start the day perfectly right with a healthy bowl of quinoa cooked with low-fat milk, and then mixed with blueberries for a huge share of antioxidants. Add more berries if you can, such as heart healthy goji berries and red currants. They add color and visual interest to your bowl, and supply all of the nutrients that your body needs in a single day! With an incredible protein-rich breakfast to wake you up, you’ll stay energized throughout the day.
Quinoa is a seed that has a grain-like texture, making it the perfect breakfast grain, as it is loaded with fiber-rich complex carbohydrates and protein. Blueberries, goji berries, and red currants contain antioxidants that help stabilize your blood sugar, keep your cholesterol and blood pressure in check, and contain a multitude of vitamins and minerals.
And since breakfast is often a meal that people rush through, on their way out the door in the morning, we’ve offered a simple way of preparing a healthy breakfast that won’t have you toiling in your kitchen on a busy morning. Simply simmer your quinoa for 15 minutes, and add your other ingredients to this one-pot dish. Make extra and heat it up the next morning for another great start to your day!
Protein Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked, pre-rinsed
- 2 cups milk fat-free, optional almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1 lemon zested
- red currants or goji berries (optional, for garnish)
- Over medium heat, in a medium pot, bring quinoa and milk to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook the quinoa until milk is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the honey, blueberries, and lemon zest, stir to combine. Serve in individual bowls. If desired, garnish with fruit-sweetened preserves.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Enjoy our other quinoa recipes:
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.