We usually skip fennel as we stroll down the produce aisle. What do we do with those big white and pale green bulbs? Fennel is slightly aromatic and sweet. It is very versatile in the kitchen, because it can be eaten raw with dips or in salads, so that you can enjoy the crunch and freshness with every bite.
Fennel is also delicious when cooked, whether baked or sautèed, because this releases its particularly aromatic and delicious juice with the heat. In this dish, we mixed fennel with asparagus and some goji berries, and then delicately flavored with balsamic vinegar to bind the flavors together. All three vegetable ingredients are rich in nutrients.
Sautèed Fennel, Asparagus and Goji Berries
- 2 fennel bulbs julienned
- 15 asparagus spears hard ends taken away and chopped (the same length as the fennel)
- 3 tablespoons goji berries
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan, sautè the garlic in extra virgin olive oil.
- When the garlic is golden, add the fennel and the asparagus.
- Cook until the fennel starts to color and become soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and coat the vegetables well by mixing.
- Add the goji berries and the water.
- Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper then turn off the fire.
- Serve warm or hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you liked this vegetable side dish, here are more amazing and healthy ideas to choose from:
Don’t miss out on the latest from Skinny Ms. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.