Comfort food with no guilt added.
Soup can be one of the most comforting foods, especially creamy soups and bisques that warm us, fill us up, and sustain us. As we head into the chilly fall months, many of us begin to forego gazpacho for chowder. Cheesy, creamy soups like chowder, potato leek, and lobster bisque all begin to sound just right on a crisp, autumn afternoon.
Our Cheesy Potato Soup fits the bill in terms of cheesy, creamy goodness, but it’s made with low-fat, low-calorie, clean eating ingredients that won’t interfere with your healthy eating plan! Simply peel and dice your potatoes, and add low fat milk instead of cream, and the low fat cheese of your choice instead of versions that contain much more fat, calories, and cholesterol. These lower fat ingredients will still allow you to experience that warm, comforting feel of a creamy soup, but without the ingredients that are harmful to your heart, your energy level, and your waistline.
Our favorite part about this healthy soup recipe is the easy prep and cooking. Simply add your ingredients to the slow cooker, set it, and go about your day. When you’re ready to eat, the aroma of chives will fill your house, and a creamy, hot soup will be waiting for you!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup
- 2 cups potatoes diced and peeled
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 1 1/2 cups milk low-fat
- 2 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cheese low-fat, shredded (cheddar, parmesan or any quick-melting cheese of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons chives fresh, or green onions for garnish, finely chopped
- In the slow cooker, combine all the ingredients except the cornstarch, cheese and chives.
- Cook on low heat for 6 - 8 hours.
- When it is cooked, get about 4 tablespoons of the potato soup then mix it with the cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Add it to the soup and mix well.
- Using a masher, hand blender or the back of a fork, mash some of the potatoes while stirring.
- Set on high and cook for another 30 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Garnish with the chives or green onions in individual bowls before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes:
Let us hear what you have to say about Skinny Ms. Feel free to leave a comment about this post or any Skinny Ms. Content.