A good chowder is one of the first meal ideas that comes to mind when the weather starts to chill. Chowders are thick, hearty, easy to make in just one pot. Our Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Chowder is a skinny chowder recipe using chicken breasts and sweet potatoes. We’ve substitute cream with coconut milk, and added sage and leeks for flavor. It’s all thrown into the slow cooker and allowed to simmer for hours until it reaches a creamy consistency.
Because you can make it in a slow cooker, this is a great, simple recipe option. You can even start it in the morning and come home to a hearty, healthy dinner in the evening. Serve it on a crisp, cool night with some crusty bread to soak up the delicious broth!
Yields: 6 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 230 | Total Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 460mg | Carbohydrates: 20g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 21g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- Mix together the broth and coconut milk in slow cooker. Add chicken, sweet potatoes, leeks, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper and cook on low for 6 hours high for 3 hours. Combine the flour and softened butter, then whisk it into the chowder. Cook for ten minutes more, then serve!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
What are your favorite chowder recipes? How does this one stack up? Let us know in the comments section below!