Lasagna without the fuss or the fat!
There’s no need to bake if you have a slow cooker at home to do the work for you! This skinny version of a favorite Italian lasagna dish lets you put your slow cooker to good use. Making lasagna requires three main ingredients, including lasagna noodles, meat sauce or ragù (which you can buy or make by following our easy Slow Cooker Italian Spaghetti Meat Sauce recipe), and bechàmel sauce. Because lasagna is a rich dish, we’ve used low-fat ingredients. You won’t feel guilty going for seconds. Like they say in Italy, buon appetito!
Slow Cooker Lasagna with Bechàmel Sauce
- 3 tablespoons pure butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk low-fat but not skim
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 1/2 cups marinara or slow cooker Italian spaghetti meat sauce
- 1 cup bechàmel sauce see recipe below
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- extra virgin olive oil
- To make the bechàmel sauce, over low heat, in a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk until a paste consistency, called a roux. Add the milk gradually. Season with the nutmeg and salt.
- When the consistency is creamy, remove and set aside. If it becomes too thick, just thin out by whisk in more milk.
- Now to start making the lasagna, with all your ingredients ready, including the prepared marinara or meat sauce, start layering the lasagna.
- Rub the bottom of the slow cooker with extra-virgin olive oil. Spread a thin layer of béchamel sauce over the bottom.
- Layer the ingredients in this order: 2 lasagna noodles (break in half if necessary), meat sauce, bechàmel sauce, and Parmesan cheese. Repeat this 3 more times. After adding the last lasagna noodles, spread the remaining bechàmel sauce on top then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3 hours. Lasagna is ready when noodles are al dente.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Here are more amazing Slow Cooker recipes that you and your family can enjoy:
Slow Cooker Cheddar Polenta with Winter Greens
15 Best Slow Cooker Recipes to Kick Off Fall
Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Stew
Slow Cooker Cheesy Spaghetti with Turkey Sausage
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
Don’t miss out on the latest from Skinny Ms. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.