There’s no need to bake if you have a slow cooker at home to do the work for you! This skinny version of a favorite Italian lasagna dish lets you put your slow cooker to good use. Making lasagna requires three main ingredients, including lasagna noodles, meat sauce or ragù (which you can buy or make by following our easy Slow Cooker Italian Spaghetti Meat Sauce recipe), and bechàmel sauce. Because lasagna is a rich dish, we’ve used low-fat ingredients. You won’t feel guilty going for seconds. Like they say in Italy, buon appetito!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice lasagna | Calories: 345 | Total Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 28 mg | Sodium: 250 mg | Carbohydrates: 42 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 3 tablespoons pure butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, low-fat but not skim
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 1/2 cups marinara or slow cooker Italian spaghetti meat sauce
- 1 cup bechàmel sauce (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Bechàmel Sauce
- To make the bechàmel sauce, over low heat, in a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk until a paste consistency, called a roux. Add the milk gradually. Season with the nutmeg and salt.
- When the consistency is creamy, remove and set aside. If it becomes too thick, just thin out by whisk in more milk.
- Now to start making the lasagna, with all your ingredients ready, including the prepared marinara or meat sauce, start layering the lasagna.
- Rub the bottom of the slow cooker with extra-virgin olive oil. Spread a thin layer of béchamel sauce over the bottom.
- Layer the ingredients in this order: 2 lasagna noodles (break in half if necessary), meat sauce, bechàmel sauce, and Parmesan cheese. Repeat this 3 more times. After adding the last lasagna noodles, spread the remaining bechàmel sauce on top then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3 hours. Lasagna is ready when noodles are al dente.
Here are more amazing Slow Cooker recipes that you and your family can enjoy:
Don’t miss out on the latest from SkinnyMs. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.