Take your heart health up a tick!
11. Dark Chocolate | Superfood Chocolate Bark
Three cheers for chocolate! The dark kind includes the heart-healthy flavonoids called polyphenols
12. Extra Virgin Olive Oil | Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Olives, and Capers
EVOO is one of the top foods for heart health because it’s a good source for the monounsaturated fats that decrease total cholesterol.
13. Flax Seeds | Wild Blueberry, Mint, & Flax Seed Smoothie
High in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, flax seeds are a no-fuss addition to your diet for better heart health. Try tossing a few onto your next salad or into a bowl of warm oatmeal.
14. Garlic | Roasted Green Beans with Lemon and Garlic
Forget the vampires! Garlic can help keep heart disease at bay, too. It contains allicin and alliin, sulfur compounds that give garlic its taste as well as protect the heart .
15. Green Tea | Green Tea Mango Smoothie
This drink has long been consumed for its many health benefits, but it’s also believed to lower heart disease risk. Enjoy it unsweetened or with a touch of natural sweetener to maximize its heart-healthy benefits.
16. Kale | 3-Ingredient Parmesan Kale Chips
This leafy green is rich in certain omega-3 fatty acids, plus it’s low in calories and fat free, making it a go-to heart food for your healthy menu planning.
17. Nuts | Almond Orange Frisee Salad
When you want to pamper your body with foods for heart health, go nuts for nuts. They contain a heart-healthy trifecta of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and fiber. Choose whole, unsalted almonds, walnuts, or pistachios.
18. Oatmeal | Berry Overnight Oats
The B vitamins in oatmeal safeguard the heart against blood clots, plus the iron in this pantry staple makes the body more efficient at carrying oxygen via the blood.
19. Pomegranates | Berries with Homemade Pomegranate Syrup
Poms offer several heart-friendly antioxidants, including polyphenols and anthocyanins. You don’t have to mess with the whole fruit either; research suggests pomegranate juice delivers heart benefits as well .
20. Raisins | Spinach Sauté with Pine Nuts and Golden Raisins
This snack extraordinaire contains heart helper potassium as well as a host of antioxidants.