Tired of ordinary egg recipes? Check out this Baked Egg Mushrooms dish, featuring the much-loved portobello mushroom. At SkinnyMs., we absolutely adore portobello mushrooms for their meaty texture and their light and healthy nutritional profile. When mushrooms team up with eggs, the two superfoods make a powerful pair in the flavor department.
This oh-so-simple recipe calls for a mere five ingredients, four of which you probably already have in your kitchen. Just crack an egg into each mushroom cap, sprinkle some salt and pepper, and pop in the oven. After about 10 minutes, you have yourself a scrumptious egg dish. Tender, protein-packed eggs pair beautifully with the juicy texture of the mushrooms.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 122 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 363mg | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 7g | SmartPoints: 4
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned*, stems removed and discarded
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms with a damp towel paper towel. Rub mushroom caps with olive oil and half the salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet.
- Crack an egg carefully into each mushroom cap. Sprinkle each with remaining salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until whites of eggs have set and mushrooms have become tender.
- If desired, sprinkle eggs with green onions and fresh dill.
Hungry for more ways to eat mushrooms? Let us know! Leave a comment in the section below.