Packed with nutritional powerhouses such as sweet potato, spinach, garlic, carrots, and tomatoes, this soup truly flushes the fat away by restoring acid-alkaline and sodium-potassium balance to the body’s organs and glands. It is a warming and deliciously comforting treat that has the added bonus of detoxing your body and adding much needed nutrients.
The superfoods in this soup are packed with antioxidants and fiber and aid with flushing toxins and, subsequently, fat from the body. Safe, effective, and good for you, this soup is a wonderful way to kickstart any healthy lifestyle changes.
Our clean eating approach will allow you to eat a variety of your favorite foods, while keeping in mind the principles of clean, healthy eating. Check out our Clean Eating Overhaul, 30-Day Weight Loss Program.
*nutrition data, not including olive oil or diced tomatoes Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup | Calories: 228 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 75 mg | Carbohydrates: 41 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 12 g | SmartPoints: 7 |
*nutrition data includes optional diced tomatoes Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/4 cup | Calories: 237 | Previous Points: 4 | Points Plus: 5 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 75 mg | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 12 g
*nutrition data includes optional 1/2 teaspoon olive oil per serving and diced tomatoes Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/4 cup | Calories: 253 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 75 mg | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 12 g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of Kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed (optional, black beans)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes (no salt added), *this is an optional ingredient
- 4 cups baby spinach, loosely packed (optional, 2 zucchini, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, optional, for serving (1/2 teaspoon per serving)
- Add all ingredients, except spinach and olive oil, to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Add spinach, stir and continue cooking just until wilted, approximately 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy! (1 Serving Per Night if doing the 3 Day Cleanse & Detox)
- Tip: If you prefer a thicker soup, after 5 hours of cooking, simply remove 1 cup of soup, along with ingredients, mash ingredients with a fork, return to the slow cooker, stir and continue cooking 1 to 3 hours. When serving, drizzle a little (optional) olive oil over each bowl of soup.
- Note: Olive oil helps the body absorb nutrients more efficiently and supports a healthy digestive system.
- Stovetop Method: Follow the same instructions above for prep, cover, and simmer until veggies are tender, approximately 2 hour. Stir every 15 minutes to prevent sticking. Add spinach at the end of cooking time, remove from heat, cover and allow spinach to wilt before serving.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published March 19, 2013, and has been updated.