A crave-worthy Southern classic- minus the guilt!
It’s a Southern classic. With that juicy, savory goodness, it’s the much-craved entreé called deep-fried chicken. The only problem is that most fried chicken recipes are loaded with unhealthy fats, calories, and a plethora of other things that can be extremely harmful to your waistline. For this very reason, we’ve created a Juicy Fake Fried Chicken recipe, so now you can have your “fried” chicken and eat it too!
Classic Fried Chicken Flavors and Textures You Love
This fake fried chicken is healthier than most fried chicken recipes because, well, it isn’t fried at all. Judging by its incredible flavors and textures, though, you’d never know the difference!
Traditional recipes provide us with delectably juicy, perfectly seasoned chicken. That said, the fried option is also beloved for its classic, crispy coating. The combination of tender meat and crunchy breading makes this Southern recipe an American favorite. But wait. This chicken isn’t fried, so how do we get that classic crispy coating?
Our low-calorie fake fried chicken is coated in a batter that is made with nonfat buttermilk, dijon mustard, garlic, and hot sauce. We then toss the chicken in flour that has been seasoned with paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, and baking powder, before laying the pieces on a baking sheet and brushing them with heart-healthy olive oil. All that’s left to do is place the chicken in the 425-degree oven and let it bake until it’s got a beautiful, crunchy, golden brown color.
A Healthy Alternative to Traditional Recipes
On average, one traditionally fried chicken breast comes in at 500 calories. A single serving contains about 28 carbs, 175 mg of cholesterol, and 720 mg of sodium. Additionally, one fried bone-in breast holds 18 grams of fat, 7 of which are saturated. For those of you who aren’t aware, saturated fat is the kind that we want to limit.
On the other hand, one serving of our baked chicken is only 262 calories, basically half that of a fried chicken breast. Our recipe only contains 10 carbs, 5 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat, 121 mg of cholesterol, and 358 mg of sodium.
As you can see, ours is significantly healthier than the fried option! With this tasty and nutritious recipe in your back pocket, you’ll never need to go back to high-calorie fried chicken ever again!
The Perfect Side Dishes for this Juicy “Fried” Chicken
So we have a much healthier main course, but what about sides? When you think about what side dishes to serve with your “fried” chicken, chances are good that your mind automatically goes to more not-so-nutritious options. We’re talking about foods like mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and more!
Our goal here at SkinnyMs. is to provide you with alternative options for your favorite foods that are not only lower in calories but also made with cleaner ingredients. We have a plethora of options. The only question is, which ones are you going to try?!
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Thyme Mashed Potatoes
- Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits
- 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
- Plant-Based Old-Fashioned Potato Salad
Juicy Fake Fried Chicken Recipe
Juicy Fake Fried Chicken
- 1/2 cup non-fat buttermilk OR 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice(or vinegar) mixed with (1/2 cup) 1 percent milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds split chicken breasts bone-in skin removed, optional boneless
- 1 cup flour (we used white whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a wide and shallow bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mustard, garlic, and hot sauce. Add chicken and flip to coat on both sides.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the seasoned flour in a bowl with an airtight lid. Add the chicken 2 pieces at a time and shake with the lid on. Remove the chicken, shake off any excess flour, and place it on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Coat the top and sides of the chicken with cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Recipe last updated September 10, 2020
If you enjoyed this tasty and indulgent faux fried chicken, we think you’ll also want to try these similar recipes:
Who needs fried chicken when you have this crispy, succulent, “un-fried” herb chicken?
Fried chicken in a slow cooker? You bet! This simple recipe is bound to become a new family favorite!
This is the perfect recipe for those of you who like your chicken extra crispy! Don’t worry; it’s just as healthy as the options above! Enjoy!
Enjoyed this post? Read more:
Have you made this fake fried chicken recipe? Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.