It’s a southern classic. With that juicy, savory goodness, it’s the much-craved entreé called deep fried chicken. The only problem is that most fried chicken recipes are loaded with unhealthy fats. Not this one. Our Juicy Faux Fried Chicken is better than most fried chicken recipes because it isn’t fried at all, but you’d never guess that from its taste. This recipe is sure to be a classic at your house. Enjoy!
Serves: 6 | Serving size: 1 chicken breast | Calories: 262 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 121 mg | Sodium: 358 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Dietary fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 42 g| SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 1/2 cup non-fat buttermilk, OR 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice(or vinegar) mixed with (1/2 cup) 1 percent milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 6 medium to large (2 to 2 1/2 pounds) chicken breasts (not boneless), skin removed
- 1 cup flour (we used white whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a wide and shallow bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mustard, garlic, and hot sauce. Add chicken and flip to coat on both sides.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the seasoned flour in a bowl with an airtight lid. Add the chicken 2 pieces at a time and shake with the lid on. Remove the chicken, shake off any excess flour, and place it on the parchment lined baking sheet..
- Coat the top and sides of the chicken with cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes.
Be the first to learn about the latest from Skinny Ms…
Subscribe to our newsletter! Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.