Looking for a fun summer snack or an appetizer with a little extra kick? Check out the SkinnyMs. healthy chicken taquito recipe! You want that satisfying crunch and that tantalizing Tex-Mex flavor, but it seems like all of the options out there are loaded with fat and fried up the wazoo. Well fear not, because SkinnyMs. has a healthy taquitos recipe for you!
You’ve Never Had Taquitos Like These!
Taquitos, or “little tacos” in Spanish, refer to a rolled up tortilla stuffed with meat and cheese. Afterwards, they are fried to the crisp and topped with whatever condiments your heart desires. Filled with irresistible flavor, taquitos make a fun party appetizer or afternoon snack. Problem is, most recipes don’t offer any nutrition. In fact, the frying process can sabotage your health goals, as all that oil carries a heavy calorie load.
100% Guilt-Free And Delicious!
Our recipe calls for clean, delicious ingredients you can feel good about. Tender, juicy shredded chicken breast teams up with flavorful salsa and shredded cheese. We love using leftover chicken from our delicious Chicken Pot Roast recipe. Otherwise, 2 bone-in split chicken breasts will work perfectly.
For added flavor, we combine this mixture with our very own delicious SkinnyMs. Taco Seasoning. Nutrition-wise, this seasoning beats conventional taco seasoning any day. It ditches all the unhealthy preservatives, coloring, and sodium, using nutritious herbs and spices instead.
Likewise, if you’re feeling extra crafty, try whipping up our homemade recipe for zesty Tex-Mex Salsa. Trust us, you’ll be glad you did!
Instead of full-fat cheese, we’ve substituted reduced fat cheddar. This shaves off a chunk of calories without compromising amazing taste. With all the other flavors and crispy goodness, you won’t even notice a difference.
Impressive Snacks Anyone Can Make!
These irresistible taquitos are a breeze to whip up. The first half of the recipe focuses on the chicken. You’ll simply place the breasts in a casserole dish with some water, and bake until juices run clear (about 35-40 minutes). After allowing chicken to cool, remove skin and shred.
Afterwards, combine all of the ingredients (besides tortillas) in a bowl and warm tortillas up on a skillet. Next comes the fun part! Spread 3 generous tablespoons of the mixture in the center of each tortilla and roll as tightly as possible.
The conventional taquito creation process involves frying these scrumptious delights, but our recipe has you popping taquitos in the oven, instead. Baking allows all the ingredients and juices to marinate gradually, creating an incredible depth of flavor. Not to mention, this healthier cooking process spares you all the added fat that comes with frying. These mouthwatering Mexican snacks still come out crunchy and delicious as ever, without wrecking your diet.
Speaking of which, two crave-worthy taquitos clock in at just 221 calories. Additionally, they pack a protein punch that’ll keep you feeling full and satisfied. So treat yourself to these savory snacks, and dive in without the guilt!
Dress Up These Tasty Treats!
If you want to get fancy, serve these healthy taquitos on a bed of shredded lettuce and top with your favorite condiments! Plain, low fat Greek yogurt adds a creamy touch that compliments the crunchiness of the taquitos. Likewise, guacamole or salsa also make delicious options to dress up the savory snack.
Skinny Chicken Taquitos are the perfect appetizer. Just be sure to eat while hot and crispy! Plus, don’t miss this delicious Skinny Mexican Rice recipe.
For more savory, south-of-the-border recipes you can feel good about, check out these 12 Mexican-Inspired Recipes That Are Better Than Takeout!
Skinny Chicken Taquitos
- 2 chicken breast Or 3 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fat-free shredded cheddar cheese Or reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp Skinny Ms. Taco Seasoning optional: any taco seasoning
- 1 tsp Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- 16 small corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish, add 1/2 cup water, cover and bake until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, about 35-40 minutes. Chicken should have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees when done. Allow to cool slightly, remove skin and shred.
- Combine all the above ingredients in a medium bowl, except tortillas. In a small skillet (preferably a dry cast iron skillet), on medium heat, warm tortillas on each side until warm, about 20 seconds per side.
- Spread 3 tablespoons mixture onto the center of each tortillas, roll as tightly as possibly, and place seam side down on parchment lined cookie sheet or non-stick baking dish. Brush tops of each taquito with olive oil or lightly mist with nonstick cooking spray. Bake approximately 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are hot and crisp.
- If desired, top taquitos with a little additional shredded cheddar and return to oven just until melted. Top with a little plain, low-fat Greek yogurt, Guacamole or salsa.
- TIP: Spread mixture quickly onto warmed tortilla before it cools. This helps to prevent tortilla from breaking. They likely will have a few cracks as it's difficult to totally prevent. Another method for heating tortillas, steam them in a double boiler until hot and pliable.
- Check out our recipe for Guacamole Verde, a yummy topping for Skinny Taquitos.