Looking for a fun summer snack or an appetizer with a little extra kick? Check out the SkinnyMs. healthy chicken taquito recipe! You want that satisfying crunch and that tantalizing Tex-Mex flavor, but it seems like all of the options out there are loaded with fat and fried up the wazoo. Well fear not, because SkinnyMs. has the healthy taquitos recipe for you!
Two tasty taquitos are only 221 calories and our recipe calls for reduced fat cheese -with all the other flavors and crispy goodness, you won’t even notice difference. 🙂 And if you really want to get creative in the kitchen, you can follow the simple associated recipes below for our SkinnyMs. taco seasoning and zesty Tex-Mex salsa. Trust us, you’ll be glad you did.
Skinny Chicken Taquitos are the perfect appetizer. Just be sure to eat while hot and crispy! And don’t miss this delicious Skinny Mexican Rice recipe.
For more delicious recipes, join us on Pinterest.
Yields: 16 | Serving size: 2 taquitos | Calories: 221 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 46 mg |Sodium: 199 mg | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 1g | Protein: 21 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle) 4 |
- 3 cups shredded chicken breast (I used our leftover *Chicken Pot Roast* recipe) or 2 bone-in split chicken breast with skin (skin will be removed later)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 2 teaspoons Skinny Ms. Taco Seasoning (optional,1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper)
- Kosher and sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup salsa, (Tex Mex Salsa Recipe)
- 16 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish, add 1/2 cup water, cover and bake until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, about 35-40 minutes. Chicken should have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees when done. Allow to cool slightly, remove skin and shred.
- Combine all the above ingredients in a medium bowl, except tortillas. In a small skillet (preferably a dry cast iron skillet), on medium heat, warm tortillas on each side until warm, about 20 seconds per side.
- Spread 3 tablespoons mixture onto the center of each tortillas, roll as tightly as possibly, and place seam side down on parchment lined cookie sheet or non-stick baking dish. Brush tops of each taquito with olive oil or lightly mist with nonstick cooking spray. Bake approximately 15-20 minutes or until taquitos are hot and crisp.
- If desired, top taquitos with a little additional shredded cheddar and return to oven just until melted. Top with a little plain, low-fat Greek yogurt, Guacamole or salsa.
- TIP: Spread mixture quickly onto warmed tortilla before it cools. This helps to prevent tortilla from breaking. They likely will have a few cracks as it's difficult to totally prevent. Another method for heating tortillas, steam them in a double boiler until hot and pliable.
- Check out our recipe for Guacamole Verde, a yummy topping for Skinny Taquitos.