Once you decide to get healthy, you have to develop a plan of attack. When it comes to weight loss and improved health, diet plays an enormous role. You see, the truth is that the type of diet you follow doesn’t play nearly as large of a role as simply paying attention to how many calories you’re consuming. If you eat fewer calories than you use each day, you will lose weight! If you’re new to cooking and are looking for a few simple ideas to get you started, these healthy beginner recipes for every meal of the day are a wonderful starting point.
Be sure to check out: How Many Calories Should You Be Eating Daily to Lose Weight?
What does a healthy meal look like?
While calorie consumption is the number one factor in changing your weight — be it for weight loss, gain, or maintenance — it’s also crucial that you focus on meals that offer your body plenty of nutrients. Eating junk, even while paying attention to caloric intake, will make you feel sluggish and anything but healthy. So what does a healthy meal look like?
Check out this helpful article: How to Make a Healthy Meal Plan
A nutritious, well-rounded meal is built around lean protein, whole grains, nutrient-rich veggies, fresh fruits, and heart-healthy fats. The recipes below are super simple to prepare and are made with different combinations of these healthy ingredients that your body needs to function optimally.
New to Cooking? Start with these Healthy Beginner Recipes for Every Meal of the Day
You can choose to make one of these recipes at a time until you get more comfortable, but we highly recommend preparing several meals in one day. This is referred to as meal prepping, and it can be extremely helpful when it comes to staying on track. Feel free to double or even triple the ingredients, depending on the number of people you’re cooking for and how many meals you want to prepare in advance.
Interested in meal-prepping? Read The Busy Woman’s Guide to Meal Prepping.
- Oatmeal & Quinoa Recipe (2 servings / 239 calories per serving)
- Easy Sweet Potato Hash Brown Cakes with Poached Egg (2 servings / 198 calories per serving)
- Egg and Turkey Sausage Breakfast Tacos (4 servings / 334 calories per serving)
- Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats (2 servings / 227 calories per serving)
- Skinny Spinach and Feta Baked Egg (4 servings / 112 calories per serving)
- Bacon & Egg Breakfast Muffins (6 servings / 168 calories per serving)
- Chocolate Chip Vegan Pancakes (6 servings / 445 calories per serving)
- Chicken and Crisp Veggie Sandwich (2 servings / 264 calories per serving)
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Chowder (6 servings / 350 calories per serving)
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad with Toasted Pecans and Apples (6 servings / 215 calories per serving)
- Spicy Black Bean & Shrimp Salad Recipe (4 servings / 357 calories per serving)
- Overstuffed Veggie Sandwich (4 servings / 484 calories per serving)
- Southwestern Black Bean Casserole (6 servings / 259 calories per serving)
- Spicy Kale Salad with Chickpeas & Maple Dijon Dressing (3 servings / 294 calories per serving)
- Plant-Based Burrito Bowl (1 serving / 577 calories per serving)
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Casserole (8 servings / 374 calories per serving)
- Baked Lemon Salmon and Asparagus Foil Pack (4 servings / 386 calories per serving)
- One-Pan Rosemary Chicken and Root Vegetables (4 servings / 355 calories per serving)
- Authentic Everything Beef Tacos (12 servings / 376 calories per serving)
- Tuna Casserole (6 servings / 437 calories per serving)
- Skinny Chicken Parmesan Casserole (6 servings / 493 calories per serving)
What do you think of these healthy beginner recipes for every meal of the day? Which one(s) are you looking forward to trying? Let us know in the comment section!