Satisfy all your TexMex cravings with this Southwestern Chicken & Veggie Salad! The mouthwatering recipe calls for loads of flavorful veggies, from juicy tomatoes and red onions to chewy corn kernels and buttery avocado. Protein-packed chicken is sliced into warm, golden strips after cooking. Zesty south-of-the-border flavors simmer in the rice and chicken, creating layers of yummy goodness.
This comforting meal is a cinch to throw together, but so hearty and delicious! Its endless array of flavors and textures will keep your taste buds interested, even if you enjoy the dish as leftovers for days afterwards.
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 267 | Total Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 509mg | Carbohydrates: 13g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 22g | SmartPoints: 8
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups loosely packed chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When shimmering, add the chicken to the pan and cook until it lifts easily with a spatula. Flip, and continue cooking until a thermometer inserted in the center reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from pan and set aside while you make the salad.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions, salsa, and cheese. Divide salad between 6 plates. Slice the chicken and add it to the salad.
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice and remaining salt, and add to the salads with the sour cream.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment below.