A healthy, Tex-Mex delight with multiple layers of flavor!
Skip the tacos next Tuesday and satisfy all your Tex-Mex cravings with our Southwestern chicken and veggie salad. This 30-minute salad is incredibly flavorful, full of wonderfully nutritious ingredients, and is an absolute cinch to throw together! Plus, it makes several servings so you can enjoy it for lunch or dinner all week long. Eating healthy has never been easier or tastier.
A Salad Packed with Mouth-Watering Ingredients
The base of this mouthwatering recipe starts like many other salads do: A bed of crisp romaine lettuce. After that, it becomes a unique, Tex-Mex creation!
The second layer combines flavorful veggies, like juicy tomatoes, red onions, and chewy corn kernels. These three ingredients greatly contribute to the satisfying texture of this salad. Next comes the cheese and salsa, which add an extra Tex-Mex flavor boost. Because, after all, is this even a Southwest recipe without them? We think not!
Once your chicken has finished simmering in the zesty, south-of-the-border flavors, it’s sliced into warm, golden strips and laid atop the bed of lettuce, veggies, cheese, and salsa.
To finish it off, mash the buttery avocado with some lime juice and salt. Not only will this enhance the flavor, but the lime juice can also help slow the browning of the avocado so it stays greener for longer. Lastly, add a dollop of sour cream to the top of the salad and serve. Feel free to swap out the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt for a little less fat and slightly more protein.
Try it with Different Proteins
No matter how yummy a recipe may be, eating it too often can lead to boredom. Trust us: You’re going to want to eat this salad often, so you might want to consider switching up the protein you use!
The flavors involved in our juicy and tender Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas are similar to the chicken in this Southwest salad. The carnitas are made using chili powder, paprika, cumin, and oregano for a punch of flavor. Plus, it includes zesty lime juice that is super pleasing to the taste buds. Throw it on top of this salad just as you would the chicken from the recipe!
This delightfully simple, Slow Cooker Everything Beef is another exceptional option for this Southwestern salad. Not only does it require just six ingredients, but it’s also hassle-free, thanks to the set-it and forget-it slow cooker!
Want a vegan-friendly option? We’ve got you! Use our Mexican seasonings listed in the recipe for Plant-Based Ground Beef. It will add a plant-based heartiness to the dish and creates a more filling option than totally leaving off the meat. Of course, to make this a vegan salad, you’ll need to skip the cheese and sour cream or swap them out for something that is plant-based friendly.
Southwestern Chicken and Veggie Salad
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped, loosely packed
- 1 cup corn kernels cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- 1/2 avocado pitted and peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When shimmering, add the chicken to the pan and cook until it lifts easily with a spatula. Flip, and continue cooking until a thermometer inserted in the center reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from pan and set aside while you make the salad.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions, salsa, and cheese. Divide salad between 6 plates. Slice the chicken and add it to the salad.
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice and remaining salt, and add to the salads with the sour cream.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What do you think? Are you going to give this delicious Southwest salad a try? Let us know in the comment section below.
On a Southwest Kick?
This crave-worthy cuisine is a widespread favorite, so we’ve spent the last decade concocting all sorts of healthy alternatives to your favorite options! If you love this Southwestern chicken and veggie salad, we think you might also like to try:
- Southwestern Protein Breakfast Burrito
- Amazing Black Beanadillas
- Vegan Southwest Veggie Wraps
- Southwestern Black Bean Casserole
- Easy 3-Ingredient Chicken Tacos