A healthy TexMex delight!
Satisfy all your TexMex cravings with this Southwestern Chicken & Veggie Salad! The mouthwatering recipe calls for loads of flavorful veggies, from juicy tomatoes and red onions to chewy corn kernels and buttery avocado. Protein-packed chicken is sliced into warm, golden strips after cooking. Zesty south-of-the-border flavors simmer in with the chicken and veggies, creating layers of yummy goodness.
This comforting meal is a cinch to throw together, but so hearty and delicious! Its endless array of flavors and textures will keep your taste buds interested, even if you enjoy the dish as leftovers for days afterwards.
Southwestern Chicken & Veggie Salad
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped, loosely packed
- 1 cup corn kernels cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- 1/2 avocado pitted and peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When shimmering, add the chicken to the pan and cook until it lifts easily with a spatula. Flip, and continue cooking until a thermometer inserted in the center reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from pan and set aside while you make the salad.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, corn, tomatoes, onions, salsa, and cheese. Divide salad between 6 plates. Slice the chicken and add it to the salad.
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice and remaining salt, and add to the salads with the sour cream.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment below.