For many people, the club sandwich is a go-to menu item at cafes, hotel restaurants, and sandwich shops. Its layers of toasted bread and stacks of sandwich fillers make it a classic. We’ve reinvented the classic club with grilled veggies and whole grain bread, making this veggie sandwich a new classic that will soon replace the club as your old reliable favorite.
Gobs of mayo, cold cuts, bacon, and white bread make the classic club a less than healthy choice. We’ve replaced these unhealthy ingredients with nutrient-rich veggies and whole grain bread in order to create a veggie sandwich that is brimming with nutrition in every bite. We’ve started out with grilled zucchini, eggplant, and bell pepper, making their already vibrant flavors sing by tossing them in a mix of extra virgin olive oil, garlic, oregano, thyme, and balsamic vinegar. These Mediterranean flavors blend perfectly together for a southern European feel that makes this sandwich a touch more exotic than a boring old classic club!
Is it summer where you are? Add some seasonal freshness with slices of tomato and a leyer of fresh spinach! Or, add some protein with a slice or two of low-fat mozzarella. Skip the mozzarella for a vegan treat, but no matter how you make your veggie club sandwich, remember to toast your whole grain bread for a combination of textures that are the finishing touch to this delicious, gourmet sandwich.
*for a whole sandwich Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 sandwich | Calories: 380 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 13 mg | Sodium: 150 mg | Carbohydrates: 50 g | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 15 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 15 *for a half sandwich Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 sandwich | Calories: 190 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 7 mg | Sodium: 75 mg | Carbohydrates: 25 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 big zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and ligaments taken away and sliced to strips
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 slices skim mozzarella or provolone
- Over medium heat, in a hot griddle, grill the zucchini, eggplant and bell pepper until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, thyme, oregano and salt. Adjust the taste if needed.
- Place the cooked vegetables in a bowl then pour the dressing on them. Mix well and let it sit for a few minutes. Discard the garlic.
- Toast the bread on the griddle or in a toaster.
- On 4 slices of bread, distribute the baby spinach, tomatoes, mozzarella (if using) and grilled vegetables. Using the other 4 slices of bread, cover the sandwiches.
Here are More Amazing Ideas for Sandwiches:
Veggie & Pesto Sandwich
Roasted Pear Sandwich with Baby Spinach
Philly Cheese Sandwich, Vegetarian Style
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Bok Choy, Red Grapes and Walnuts
Greek Pita Sandwich
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.