Two types of tomatoes = culinary excellence!
If you plan ahead, the possibilities for a quick meal at home are endless. You can prepare your own healthy meal at home in less time than it takes to order take-out. This barley salad is perfect for summer because it is best eaten cold or at room temperature. Cook the barley the night before, refrigerate it, and take it out when you are ready to put together your lunch, and your prep time will be minimal.
Fresh tomatoes are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and beta-carotene, plus a load of other vitamins and minerals. Barley is a good source of fiber. Plan your meals ahead of time and benefit from healthy meals prepared in a flash.
Barley with Fresh and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 cup pearl barley uncooked
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes fresh, halved or quartered (or other kinds of sweet tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 basil leaves fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Over medium-high heat, in a medium pot, bring the water to a boil with the barley and 1/2 teaspoon salt. When it boils, put down the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Rinse under the tap, drain, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the barley, fresh tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, basil oregano, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You will love our other healthy recipes if you liked this one:
If you are like what you see in Skinny Ms., subscribe to our newsletter and never get left behind to what’s new in healthy living.