Delicious, decadent, and dairy-free!
Sticking to a nutritious diet can be a challenge, especially once the holidays arrive. This time of year, we’re bombarded with sweet treats like pumpkin pie. We only have so much will power, am I right? The truth is, you don’t always have to say no to these indulgent foods! All that you have to do is choose healthier versions and control your portions. Our dairy-free pumpkin pie is healthier than classic options but still packed with the flavors you adore!
A Vegetarian, Dairy-Free Dessert
One of the best ways to end a beautiful holiday dinner is with a nice, hearty slice of pumpkin pie. It offers all of the best flavors of the season without being overly sweet or dense. We love pumpkin pie so much that we wanted to share it with more of our loved ones. That’s why we decided to create a dairy-free, vegetarian option made without dairy. You can make it without gluten, too!
Traditional pumpkin pie recipes use sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk. Coconut milk makes an excellent substitute because it is naturally sweet and has a similar viscosity. Plus, coconut milk contains roughly half the number of calories as sweetened condensed milk. While coconut milk is plant-based, this recipe is not considered vegan because it does contain eggs. Most vegetarians still eat eggs though, so they can indulge in this tasty treat!
Make it Gluten-Free!
Most store-bought pie crusts work fine for this recipe. The filling is the most important part, anyway! Look for a whole-wheat or gluten-free crust, if desired. Of course, homemade always tastes better, so feel free to make your own! We have several different healthy pie crust recipes to choose from:
Indulgent Flavors with Fewer Calories
This super easy dessert captures everything you love about the original. It still contains the rich pumpkin puree, sweet brown sugar, comforting vanilla, and nutty pumpkin pie spice. While full of holiday flavor, each slice only contains 249 calories. For some comparison, regular pumpkin pie recipes are well over 350 calories per slice.
If you want to splurge a little bit more, though, you can make this Clean Eating Whipped Topping to go along with your pumpkin pie. Just like this recipe, it’s also dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegetarian-friendly!
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie with Coconut Milk
- 1 9-inch pie crust gluten-free, if desired
- 2 eggs large
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree canned, or 2 cups of pureed cooked pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, brown sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until they’re well combined.
- While stirring, add the coconut milk and mix until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 35 to 45 minutes, until the pie is set in the middle. You can test the filling with an instant-read thermometer. It will be finished when it reaches an internal temperature of 175 degrees.
- Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and cool completely before moving the pie to the refrigerator, at least two hours.
- If not serving immediately, store the pie in the refrigerator.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What did you think about this dairy-free pumpkin pie? Have you tried it yet? Are you planning to? Be sure to let us know in the comment section below!
More Healthy and Delicious Desserts
If you enjoyed this recipe, we think you’ll also want to try these yummy dessert options:
- Clean Eating Apple Pie Recipe
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars
- Our Best Ever Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Creamy, Cold, and Skinny Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding
- Fried Apple Pies that You Can Make in Minutes
Are you following us on Pinterest yet? What about Facebook? If not, you should be! There, you’ll have access to all of the latest and greatest recipes and more. You can also subscribe to our eNewsletter to get the tastiest recipes delivered directly to your inbox.